108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ICE for Linux 6.3 Nagios problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Just curious.  Are you using SELinux to do the "hardening" on your Linux CMS?

Thanks,

Donna

Allen012
Advisor

No SELinux.

Our customer provides a set of "tests" that we run against the systems, and we correct any "findings"

Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Thanks.   Let us know how things are progressing with Nagios and what you had to do to make it work in your "hardened" environment.   This will help us fix the issue in a future IC-Linux release.

Donna

Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Any update on your Nagios issues?  Have you been able to get things working?

Thanks,
Donna

Allen012
Advisor

The manual addition of the entries to the sudoers file seems to have fixed most of my problems getting Nagios to run. 

Now is need to get it to shutup.  It send hundreds of emails a day that are all of little or no use.  I want to talk only through ICE.  How do I shut it up?

Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Can you send me an example of the alerts that Nagios continues to send to you?    By default, I thought all Nagios alerts get forward to HP SIM.  Did you configure Nagios and/or HP SIM to send alerts to your email address?

Donna

Allen012
Advisor

As far as I can tell, as installed Nagios tries to send email.  If you do not have a "catcher" (nagios) email account it goes into a dead.letter folder in the nagios home directory.

I have tried changing the nagios templates to disable the email (only send to ICE/SIM), but with no positive results yet.

Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Are you saying you have a "nagios" user email account and you want to figure out how to stop Nagios from sending mail to that "nagios" email account?

Donna

Allen012
Advisor

If I do not have a "nagios" email account for the email to go to, it continues to build up in the /home/nagios/dead.letter folder indefinitely.  To keep from causing space problems I set up an account to receive the email.

I would like to get nagios to stop trying to send the email, but I am unwilling to allow it to just build up in the home directory.

Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Now I understand.  I'll consult with one of the IC-Linux developers tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks,

Donna