New Discussion юеВ

Re: ICE for bladesystems - linux?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

ICE for bladesystems - linux?

Hi,

I purchased a C-3000 enclosure with 8 full licences for ICE. I received a bunch of DVDs that tells me to insert the DVD in a Windows system... what if I want to run this on Linux?

Thanks,

Ugo
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You purchased licenses for the Insight Control Environment. If you want the Insight Control Environment for Linux, it is a separate product. Visit http://www.hp.com/go/insightcontrol --> ICE Linux
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

What is the difference between the regular ICE and ICE for Linux?
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ugo,

The primary distinction is the choice of host operating system [i.e. ICE is on MS-Windows and ICE-LX is on Linux (RHEL or SLES being HP-supported)].

Rigoberto
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I have many windows server on which I'd gladly use a ICE licence on, but my ICE licences were bundled with a C-3000 enclosure. Can I install my licences on the Windows server? Can I install the SIM on a linux host anyway?
Robert Crockett
Valued Contributor

Hello Ugo, I need to clarify what HP product you have so we can better serve you.
Can you give me the version number and/or the labeling on the DVD's ?

What is your intended use for this product ?
When was it purchased (month and year) ?

Sorry to have to ask these questions but we must get to the bottom of what product you have in order to assist you better.

Any other information will be helpful.

thanks,

Robert

Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

No problem,

What I bought is a part number 437504-B21, less than one month ago . It is a C-3000 blade enclosure with 8 ICE licence.

The intended use it to have blades in the C-3000 enclosures that run some physical servers and some virtualization servers as well. My intention is to have no physical server or hypervisor that is windows-based.

I currently have 4 blades in the C-3000. Two will be Xen (Red Hat) hardware nodes, and the two others will be physical Linux (Red Hat as well), or one-VM virtualization platforms.

I thought that buying ICE licences to be able to install Systems insight manager on a linux server to help me better manage my servers. Eventually, I'd like to use SIM to manage all my servers, Linux and Windows.

On the dvd, it is written "HP Insight Software", DVD#1 and DVD#2, and there is also another DVD, labeled "HP Server Migration Pack - Universal Edition Application and Boot CD. I don't know exactly what is the purpose of this one.

I don't mind switching to HP virtualization (Xen-based) systems, as long as costs are reasonable.

Thanks,
Peter Havens
Advisor
Solution

Ugo,

The licenses that you have purchased are intended for use on a ICE Windows installation. That is to say that the Central Management Server (CMS) in this management solution must be running windows in order to use these licenses.

If you were to use the ICE (Windows CMS) product, you can manage both Windows and Linux managed nodes. If you wish to have your CMS installed on a LINUX system, you would want to purchase ICE-Linux licenses and install the ICE-Linux product which is not included on the DVDs that you have.

Both ICE (Windows) and ICE-Linux are built on the Systems Insight Manager (SIM) platform that can do basic management of servers running either Windows or Linux. The differences between the two are really seen in the advanced features that are enabled via the licenses.

ICE-Linux is intended for Linux customers primarily and does very basic management of Windows servers; discovery, identification, inventory, events / alerts etc. For Linux managed nodes, ICE-Linux adds the ability to do Rapid Scalable Image Deployment and Advanced Monitoring the NAGIOS.

ICE-Windows will allow for Linux deployment from a Windows system through the use of the Windows based Rapid Deployment Pack. There are a bunch of other add-ons included in the ICE (Windows) package also.

For more information on ICE-Linux you can go to this location:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/insightcontrol_linux2/index.html

For more information on ICE (Windows) you can go to this location:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/ice/index.html

For a comparison of plug-ins that are available (and may be included in the ICE packages) for either the Linux, or Windows SIM platform, you can see the table on this page.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/plugin-apps.html

I hope this helps.

-Peter
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your clear answer. It's clearer than the HP reps'!
Peter Havens
Advisor

Glad to help!

-Peter