9319 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ICLE install problem

Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

ICLE install problem

Hi,

this is my first install of a blade environment, and I am trying to install ICLE but have a few confusions about this. Included in the NHD of the blades was included the Windows version of the control tower software but not the linux, so I have downloaded the linux version from HP.

The problem I have is that in the documentation for that arrived with the blade chassis, it states that any ML or DL server will be sufficient to install the ICLE onto. However, if I read the PDF available on HP's site, it states that it need to be either 1 of the blades that recieves the ICLE installation or a DL360 G4/G4p or G5(SCSI only).

I have a DL380 G5 with SAS in as the Appliance server, and I have managed to install the ICLE, however once installed and the installer tells you to eject CD and reboot, the ICLE server never boots. Its not a hardware fault causing this, because installation of a normal OS manages to boot fine. Is running ICLE on a 380 a complete non-starter? I'm confused because the documentation implies that any DL would have been ok, but they are saying something to the contrary on the HP site.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Matt
2 REPLIES 2
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I have sorted this prob now. Even trying to install on a DL360G4p which is patched as high as it says it needs to be the install still did not complete property. I managed to get this to install fine on one of the blades in the chassis, but did not want to do this as it wasted a blade. I did this using the Virtual media on the iLo.

After this worked I then downloaded an eval licence for the DL360 Proliant essentials so that I could test if the Virtual Media would work for this and the original 380. And indeed installing this way makes it possible to use both machines with no problems.

Thanks Anyway, Maybe this thread will help someone else too

:-)
Robert Crockett
Valued Contributor

Hi Matt, I just want to clarify a few things.

The Windows version of Control Tower you mention in your first sentence is not correct. :)
There is only one release of Control Tower (new name Insight Control Linux Edition or ICLE) and it is Linux based (running on a linux OS). The Windows version of software you mention is Insight Control Data Center Edition (or ICDC) and they are not the same product. Again, not a big deal... just wanted to clarify this. So, the statement about any ML or DL server being sufficient to install ICDC on is correct. But that is not true for ICLE, there are specific models of HP servers that are supported and tested to run ICLE on.
Sorry for the confusion, and hope this helps to better understand this issue.

Robert