108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Inability to run Capture Image processes that take >30mins

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sarah Nordstrom
Frequent Advisor

Inability to run Capture Image processes that take >30mins

I'm having an issue where a Capture Image process is terminated after 30 minutes of runtime. The imaging process then attempts to continue on to the next step in SIM, while the machine itself keeps tar'ing and attempting to transmit data! SIM fails to reboot the machine (as the disk is still in use by the imaging), and the whole task then fails. The log on the machine (/var/log/nanoweb_192.168.x.x.log) is full of "umount: /mnt/target: device is busy", no other logs appear out of the ordinary on the machine being imaged. I have attached a screenshot of the machine being imaged, after the failure (showing the tar processes still running), plus a SIM log from the failed run. This is reproducable by us every time, on multiple nodes.
11 REPLIES 11
Sarah Nordstrom
Frequent Advisor

Screenshot of 'ps auxwww' output from machine being imaged, after the capture has failed from SIM's point of view.
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

You again?

OK - just kidding.

Can you tell me approximately how large of a capture you are trying to perform? The fact that it fails in 30 minutes flat makes me think there is a timeout of some type we might be hitting. We'll have to research this a bit.
Sarah Nordstrom
Frequent Advisor

The first attempt was a machine with 20GB, the second just over 40GB. It fails around teh 4GB (exactly 30min) mark. It does seem to be a timeout of some sort, yes. Thanks for the assistance on this :)
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

Hi - Sorry for the delay, I get easily distracted :) I started looking into the timeout but got sidetracked. I'll get back to it.
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

Sarah,

Good news and bad news.

GOOD NEWS:
We did locate a spot in the code where somebody coded a 30 minute timeout, which we did expect to find somewhere.

BAD NEWS:
It's buried in the java code, so although it's easy to fix for an up-coming release, fixing it on your system will be somewhat harder. I am going to check and see what our procedures are in such a situation.

Question: What version of ICE-Linux are you running? V2.0 or V2.01 ?

Thanks,
Sarah Nordstrom
Frequent Advisor

We're running 2.01 right now.
Sarah Nordstrom
Frequent Advisor

Any updates on this?
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I apologize for the delay. I get easily distracted.

I am trying to get some resources rolled back to your version of the product, so we can put a fix in, build it, and get you a patch.

Give me a few more days. I'm hoping to post a solution here, unless the file is too big for the forum. Then we'll work something else out.

Mitch
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi Sarah,

I see you logged a 'real' support call. That was the wise thing to do. We just finished creating and testing a fix, and I passed it on to customer support. The engineer will pass it on to you on Monday.

I sincerely apologize for the delay.

Let me know if you still have any problems.

The new timeout is FIVE DAYS as opposed to 30 minutes.

Mitch