4751 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Managing server in different subnet using ICE-Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Demp

Managing server in different subnet using ICE-Linux

I have a ICE-Linux installed CMS in a subnet, now i want to manage a server in another subnet. Managed node boots with PXE but does't go to ICE-Linux RAMDisk environment (Boot server hostname & system Imager options are enabled for the managed node in the DHCP server with CMS IP address).

Please let me know if iam missing out any thing, Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Re: Managing server in different subnet using ICE-Linux

Does your DHCP server log file show that a DHCP request came in from the server's Boot NIC (e.g. it's MAC address)?

Rigoberto
Demp

yeah, DHCP server has leased an IP address to the managed node.

Since my CMS with ICE -LX is in different subnet is the managed node not able to contact to get boot files from CMS? Should i run PXE server on the subnet in which managed node is present? Which in turn can i redirect to my CMS? this is how it has to be?

Thanks for your help
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Hi Demp,

Can you check to see that the DHCP server is configured to give the CORRECT default gateway to that node on that subnet?

There are also a couple of things you can try.

- The more complicated way is to have a DHCP relay set up on the router in the other subnet that forwards the DHCP requests to the CMS or local DHCP server. Remember, DHCP is a broadcast protocol, so without the relay, the CMS would never get the request.

- The other option is to have a second DHCP server on the second subnet which provides all the pertinent information to the managed node to point it to the CMS.

Rigoberto
Demp

Rigoberto,

i installed another DHCP server on the managed nodes subnet, in dhcpd.conf file of which i have mentioned the boot server as my cms(different subnet).

managed node booted in RAMDisk environment but failed with the following error:

" get_boel_binaries_tarball
rsync -av ::boot/i386/standard/boel_binaries.tar.gz /tmp/boel_binaries

rsync: failed to connect to : Network is unreachable (101)
rsync error : error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(107) [reciever=2.6.8]
Killing of running processes. "

Thanks for your quick response
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor
Solution

The "" you see is your CMS's IP address, right? Is it usually reachable by your managed system? When you get the "rsync" error, you should be able to get to the shell prompt from the remote console. If you type "route", is the gateway that is shown the correct one?

Rigoberto
Demp

thank you Rigoberto, we had problems with our gateway, now its working fine.