4965 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nagios not loading

riyan
Frequent Advisor

Nagios not loading

Hi,
I installed ICE-linux in my SLES 10 server and logged in to sim with port 50000 (https://hostname:50000)but when i tried to load Nagios from tools>integrated console>Nagios i am getting following error.

Nagios is not available at this time.

To make Nagios available, use the Options->Configure ICE-Linux Management Services
menu item.

If you have already configured the ICE-Linux management services, log in to the
CMS and enter the following command to verify that the
web server at https://10.10.10.201/nagios is running:

On Red Hat operating systems:

/etc/init.d/httpd status

On SUSE operating systems:

/etc/init.d/apache2 status

If the web server is not running, enter the following command to start it.

On Red Hat operating systems:

/etc/init.d/httpd start

On SUSE operating systems:

/etc/init.d/apache2 startssl

when i try to perform Options->Configure ICE-Linux Management Services i am getting

Using node prefix 'icelx'
Error: /opt/hptc/sbin/create_nodenames --searchall returned: 255
error in stdout

I started apache according to this and checked the https://10.10.10.201/nagios URL.Then i am getting

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to 10.10.10.201.
SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

* The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

* Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

Can some body please tell me what am i doing wrong and if i have to configure ssl how to do it in SLES 10.thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Are you using IC-Linux V2.11?

Let's see if your set up is correct. Before running "Configure ICE-Linux Management Services"

1) Make sure you have managed systems discovered in SIM

2) Make sure the managed systems are installed with a supported Linux OS

3) Make sure all the managed systems you want to monitor with Nagios have an ICE-Linux license assigned to them

4) Make sure you run "Configure or Repair Agents" on all the managed systems to set up the SIM SSH keys.

5) Create a self-signed Apache certificate certificate on the CMS by running /opt/hptc/config/sbin/create_apache_certificate gconfigure.

When your done answering the questions, restart the Apache service

# /etc/init.d/apache2 stop
# /etc/init.d/apache2 startsll

Let us know how this goes.

Donna
riyan
Frequent Advisor

Hi Donna,

1) Make sure you have managed systems discovered in SIM
Right now i have installed hpsnmp agents only on 2 servers for the testing.please check the attached screen shot.

2) Make sure the managed systems are installed with a supported Linux OS

OS is SLES 10 SP2 and SP 3

3) Make sure all the managed systems you want to monitor with Nagios have an ICE-Linux license assigned to them

I haven't added the license yet.should i add individual licence to managed systems also or i have add it in the SIM?please advice

4) Make sure you run "Configure or Repair Agents" on all the managed systems to set up the SIM SSH keys.

when i run Configure or Repair Agents in the same cms server following is the out put i got.i am not sure what options i have to select.

Subscribing to WBEM / WMI indications ...
Subscribe to WBEM / WMI Indications (DONE).......................... [FAILED]
Check whether target system met the requirements and all of the software require
d to support indications is installed.
WBEM protocol settings are not valid/enabled for this system in HP SIM. Check yo
ur HP SIM settings.

Send test WBEM/ WMI indication from the system (DONE)............... [FAILED]
CMS has to be subscribed for WBEM / WMI indications before it can receive a test
indication.

Configuring SSH authentication (START)...
Configure SSH for host based authentication (DONE).................. [FAILED]
Configuration failed to complete due to the following exception:
Ssh Operati
on failed for node:cms.cpstl.lk. SSH_BAD_API_USAGEYou must supply a valid userna
me! [Unknown cause]

LINUX configuration command (START)...
Configuring SNMP Settings (START)...
Stopping SNMP daemon...
Shutting down snmpd:..done
Adding read community string cpstl
Adding trap destination address cms.cpstl.lk
Restarting SNMP Daemon...
Starting snmpd..done
Setting SNMP trap destination / SNMP read community string (DONE)....[SUCCESS]

Set Trust relationship to "Trust by Certificate" (START) ...
Setting Trust for System Management Home Page.
Stopping System Management Home Page
Shutting down hpsmhd..done
Copying /tmp/hprepair_cms/cms.cpstl.lk.pem to /opt/hp/hpsmh/certs
Restarting System Management Home Page
Starting hpsmhd ....done
Set Trust relationship to "Trust by Certificate" (DONE)............. [SUCCESS]

Setting admin password/Trust for Insight Management Agents 7.1/earlier (START)
Setting admin password/Trust for legacy HP Server Management Agents..[SKIPPED] H
P Server Management Drivers and Agents, is not installed.

Linux configuration commands (DONE)................................. [SUCCESS]

5) Create a self-signed Apache certificate certificate on the CMS by running /opt/hptc/config/sbin/create_apache_certificate gconfigure.

i ran the above script and created a certificate after apache restart checked nagios.still same ssl error

An error occurred during a connection to 10.10.10.201.

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.

(Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

riyan
Frequent Advisor

Yes i am using IC-Linux V2.11

I went through the ICE-Linux user's guide
trouble shoot steps.and it seems i haven't installed nagios properly.does it get installed automatically when im installing ICE-Linux? sorry for the silly questions.this is the first time i am installing sim.please help
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

You need to first add the IC-Linux license to SIM License Manager and then use SIM license manager to assign the IC-Linux license to your two managed nodes.

Nagios automatically gets installed when you install IC-Linux and Nagios will automatically get configured and started when you run Configure ICE-Linux Management Services (provided you have licensed nodes to monitor).

The instructions for which CRA options to select should be in the Users Guide.

I believe you need to uncheck "Create subscription to WBEM events" and uncheck "Trust by Certificate". "Set read community string", "Set traps to refer...", "Configure SSH access authentication" and "Host based authentication" should all be checked/set.

After you ran CRA, did you re-run Configure Management Services? You'll have to check Stdout and Stderr to see if configure ran properly.

You can also run /etc/init.d/nagios status to see if nagios is running on the CMS.

Donna
riyan
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I got 11 license for.so can i just add one of these SIM license manager and add others to managed servers?

and in the Live monitor also i am getting a plain screen only.

I can see nagios files in the CMS server.but i cannot start the services.when i try to run
/etc/init.d/nagios status i am getting

cms:~ # /etc/init.d/nagios status
NO CACHE FILE! RERUN create_nodenames.
Failure at /opt/hptc/perl/lib/sim/hptc_node.pm line 356.
cms:~ #
I think i made a mistake when initial installation or ssl certificate creation.
I should read the documentations and installation guide again ant try this.
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Your installation is correct. Nagios and Live Monitor are not working because "Configure ICE-Linux Management Services" hasn't completed successfully.

You must have servers assigned with an ICE-Linux license for Nagios / Live Monitor to work. If you have no servers with licenses, "Configure Management Services" exits immediately and Nagios doesn't get configured or started.

You need to add the ICE-Linux license keys to SIM License Manager. See Section 6.6 in Installation Guide for instructions on "Adding ICE-Linux license keys" to SIM.

Then you need to assign an ICE-Linux license to each of your managed nodes. See Section 2.2. "Assigning ICE-Linux licenses to discovered systems" in Users Guide.

Once that's done you should be able to re-run "Configure Management Services".

Let me know how this goes.

Donna

riyan
Frequent Advisor

Hi
Couldn't do this yet since some issues came up with our storage also :( will do as you suggested and post.Thanks
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

No problem. I'll be out on vacation 3/25, 3/26, and 3/29 but will reply as soon as I can.

Donna
riyan
Frequent Advisor

Hi Donna,
Hope you had a great vacation.I assigned the license for cms server and tried to run Configure ICE-Linux Management Services.But it failed with following error.

Warning: Cannot install ICE-Linux management agents on CMS node icelx1
Error: /opt/hptc/mgmt/bin/setup_management_services --install --verbose returned: 1
Important: Verify that you have run CRA to set up the SIM SSH credentials
on all your managed systems. One you have run CRA, you can run Install Agents
to set up the ICE-Linux management services on your managed systems.

i am unable to run CRA before running the Configure ICE-Linux Management Services as i am getting an error

Configuring SSH authentication (START)...
Configure SSH for host based authentication (DONE).................. [FAILED]
Configuration failed to complete due to the following exception:
Ssh Operati
on failed for node:cms.cpstl.lk. SSH_BAD_API_USAGEYou must supply a valid userna
me! [Unknown cause]

I changed my sshd config file also according to the help page's.please check the attached config file.any idea what is going wrong?