Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFTP open timeout

TFTP open timeout

I am receiving the above error when I try to pxe boot by target blade server. I am getting an ip address assigned from the DHCP service on the ICE/SIM server but it stops at the TFTP open timeout line

Any clues
6 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: TFTP open timeout

Are you running a TFTP server on the system
it's trying to talk to?

no. I have never received a tftp open timeout error on any of the blades systems I have deployed or registered to ICE in the past. This is the first
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

We were getting tftp timeouts, along with extremely slow loads of initrd when using tftp to kickstart systems. After several tweaks we ended up with the server_args line below in the /etc/xinetd.d/tftp Now we have now timeouts and the kernel/initrd gets passed to the system in just a second or two.
Justin_99
Valued Contributor

Oops forgot to add the config. Watch wrap on some lines.

service tftp
{
socket_type = dgram
protocol = udp
wait = yes
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
server_args = -vv -t 300 -T 15000 -B 1468 -s /tftpboot
disable = no
}
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Hello Mario,

Some things to check are:

1) Does your dhcpd.conf file point to a valid TFTP boot server?

2) Does the firewall have the tftp port open?

3) If you're CMS is running SuSE, you may want to try "service atftpd start".

Rigoberto

Thank you all for the responses. This may sound silly. Apparently the TFTP service on the CMS server was not starting up. After a couple of reboots it worked.

Thank you