6009 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: There are no MAC addresses registered for this sytem

John F. Garcia
Advisor

There are no MAC addresses registered for this sytem

Hello,

I'm running HP Insight Control for Linux 6.3 and am trying to deploy images to HP ProLiant BL 490c G7 servers. I've been able to do a few successful image deployments, but now, I'm getting an error when it's trying to "Configure System to Boot from Network" saying there are no MAC addresses registered for this system. I noticed there are no MAC addresses for these systems in /opt/repository/boot/pxelinux.cfg. I can see the mac addresses of the systems that I was able to successfully deploy images to.

It seems that something has changed, but I cannot figure what I'm doing wrong. I've discovered the new systems, then ran "Configure or Repair Agents". I also tried to redo the "Data Collection".

Are there any other steps that I can try to register the MAC addresses for these systems?

Thanks again for reading...John
9 REPLIES 9
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

When a new server is discovered, you will see an "Initial Data Collection" task being run under "Tasks & Logs -> View Task Results". That is when SIM collects the MAC addresses from the server. I believe SIM periodically attempts to do a data collection and, if the server is not up or is not running the agents, it removes the MAC addresses it already collected. Unfortunately, the only way to get them back is to run another bare-metal discovery on the server or, if the server already has a running OS with agents, run the "Data Collection" task.

Rigoberto
John F. Garcia
Advisor

Thank you for the reply. I have actually tried to run "Data Collection" manually. The status always says "Complete" but there are no other information in the task results log. I still don't see a mac address in /opt/repository/boot/pxelinux.cfg. Is that a good way to check that the data has been collected properly? I've also tried to remove the systems completely and rediscover, but with no success.

Are there any other logs or troubleshooting steps I can use to further investigate this?

Thanks, John
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

To see that data that SIM has collected perform these steps:

1. Select the server in the left-hand frame under "All Servers".
2. On the right-hand frame, select the "Tools & Links" tab.
3. Again on the right-hand frame, select "Data Colletion" report under "HP Systems Insight Manager Pages".
4. When the Data Collection Report comes up, there should be a table called "Network Interface" that should show all the network interfaces that were found, along with their MAC addresses. However, if the data wasn't collected, you probably won't see this.

I would suggest removing the server from SIM once again and doing another bare-metal discovery. However, make sure that after you delete the server from SIM that its "/opt/repository/boot/pxelinux.cfg/" file is gone. If it's still there, manually remove it, or the system will try to boot from local disk instead of booting the IC-Linux Discovery RAM disk.

Open up a Remote Console window and look at the system while it boots. It should load the IC-Linux Discovery RAM disk when it PXE boots.

In SIM, under "Tasks & Logs", you should see an "Initial Data Collection" task being run shortly after the IC-Linux discovery RAM disk boots.

Please try this and let me know how it goes.

Rigoberto
John F. Garcia
Advisor

Rigoberto,

I just wanted to write a note that it looks like I've gotten past the MAC addresses. I'm not sure exactly how because I've been trying lots of different things. I think it came down to going to options > security > credentials and updating the system credentials.

Sorry for all of the questions lately, but I have one more and can open up a new thread if needed. We are going to be changing the IP addresses of the Insight Control server and all of the clients. Is there a script or feature in HP Insight Control that I need to run to accomodate this or should things just work ok after I change the IP?

Thanks again, John
Rigoberto Corujo
Frequent Advisor

Hi John,

I asked the SIM team for the procedure to change the IP address. They provided me with a document, which I've attached.

Rigoberto
John F. Garcia
Advisor

Rigoberto,

Thank you for the response. It looks like this document is for Windows. I'm running on Linux, so I was wondering if there was any other information regarding this task.

Thanks! John
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Unfortunately, there is no HP SIM documentation for changing the CMS IP address on a Linux CMS. I believe the SIM team is working on the Linux "how to" for the 7.0 release.

Are you looking to change just the CMS IP address? Or are you looking to change the hostname and domain name for the CMS too?

If you're just changing the CMS's IP address, you should be able to follow the procedure in the IC-Linux User Guide (called Changing the IP address of the CMS).

Thanks,
Donna
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

And forgot to mention that if you're changing the IP addresses for the client nodes too, you should be able to do just a rediscovery in HP SIM.

Here's what the SIM team wrote when asked about best practices for changing the IP addresses of client nodes.

SIM team wrote:
"Ideally if the IP changes, only a rediscovery is needed. This does assume that SIM can get the UUID from the agents to help track the real physical node. In addition, if traps are configured (via CRA) then a cold start trap will also force a re-discovery and ideally this just happens all automatically. There is no need to delete/add a target node who├в s IP has changed."

Donna
John F. Garcia
Advisor

Donna, thank you for this information. The documentation that you pointed out in the Linux User's Guide is what I needed.

Thanks, John