1753483 Members
4350 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: c -class Blade Server discovery problems

Robert Crockett
Valued Contributor

Ok, when that happens get the IP that the ramdisk has (we use the SSTK ramdisk, Smart Start Toolkit which is developed by that team) from the VGA console of that blade and SSH into the ICLE linux OS and try to ping that IP to see if ICLE can get to it (check routes, etc.). Also you should be able to ping back to the ICLE linux OS from the blade ramdisk on the ICLE Management Network (10.128.xxx.xxx, where the default ICLE linux OS IP in that subnet is 10.128.255.253).
Verify your VLAN configuration and make sure the blades are only getting one 10.128.xxx.xxx IP assigned from the ICLE DHCP Server.

Robert
Naveen Gulia_1
Advisor

Hi Teemu,

Similer issue we were faced "mount error 101 - Network is unreachable" but final we got the solution after enable the Port Fasting feature on all ports of core ethernet siwtch where our blade & control tower connected.

You can try this option it might be it will help you.

thanks
Naveen Gulia
Robert Crockett
Valued Contributor

Teemu, I beleive your problem here is the known issue of the BL460c. There are other issues in this forum that relate to this.

The issue is that that specific hardware has issues unumerating the NIC's in the SSTK ramdisk that is used by the ICLE product. You need to setup a VLAN in the enclosure switch (or external switch if using passthru's) and only place the first NIC (eth0) of each blade in that VLAN. To test if this is your problem get to the prompt of one of the blades that is trying to register and at the bash prompt you showed me in your attachement type 'ifconfig' and see if there are more than one of the blade NIC's that has a 10.128.xxx.xxx IP assigned to it. If so, that is the problem and you will need to setup a VLAN and only allow eth0 (NIC1) to be in the ICLE Management network and hence get a 10.128.xxx.xxx IP.

One other thing to look at while you are at this prompt is to make sure we are able to gather all of the data needed to register a blade with ICLE. At that same bash prompt type 'cat /etc/sysconfig/session' and verify there are no empty fields. The main one to look for is the Rack name, it cannot be empty or registration will fail.

Let me know how it goes,

Robert
Teemu Turpeinen
Advisor

Hello.

This problem was actually solved already in May, but I totally forgot to send a response here. Just been too busy...

The problem was that the switch port(s) did not have portfast enabled. We usually always enable portfast in the blade environment but then we had so many other things to do and forgot to doublecheck the switches when we noticed the problem.

I thank you for all the answers regarding the case.

Br,

/teemu
Robert Crockett
Valued Contributor

Hello Teemu, I responded to this yesterday but don't see my reply anywhere ?

Anyway, here it is again:

The BL460c is the ONLY blade that has a different characterstic in regard to NIC's and the ICLE Management network. We documented in the Release Notes this behaviour. The problem is that both of the NIC's get into the ICLE Mgmt network and get an IP from the ICLE DHCP Server in the 10.128.xxx.xxx range. To solve this the customer will need to create a VLAN and place ONLY the first NIC (eth0) of each blade and the iLO and OA ports in that VLAN. Unless the desire is to have the OA's and iLO's on a different network than the ICLE Mgmt network, if this is the case the OA's and iLO's must have their IP's assigned BEFORE registration with ICLE - and they must not change, if they do a re-registration must occur. To test this scenario get to the 'bash' prompt that you show in your attached picture and type 'ifconfig' and see if both blade NIC's get a 10.128.xxx.xxx IP. If so, that is your problem and the VLAN must be setup to filter the onboard blade NIC's such that only eth0 or NIC1 get in the ICLE DHCP Server network.

One other thing to mention is the appropriate data needed to register blades and enclosures in ICLE. At that same bash prompt type 'cat /etc/sysconfig/session' and see if any of the fields are empty. If they are you must remedy that, if it is the Rack name you have to give the OA a rack name before registration. If there are missing serial numbers, you need to verify the hardware has a serial number in it's FRU data which can be found in the iLO or other places.

Let me know how it goes...

Robert