3104 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-health/hpasmlited segfault maybe related to Linux kernel 5.5

ashakpezivink
Occasional Visitor

hp-health/hpasmlited segfault maybe related to Linux kernel 5.5

Hi,

I've recently been trying to move some of our systems from CoreOS Container Linux to Fedora CoreOS. Since this move we have had problems with hpasmlited. It runs for 10-20 seconds and then segfaults.

[Tue Apr 14 10:39:54 2020] traps: hpasmlited[962] general protection fault ip:406889 sp:7ffeba80ab60 error:0 in hpasmlited[400000+3c000]

I tried to narrow down the problem as much as possible and believe that it's caused by the use of the 5.5 Linux kernel on Fedora CoreOS.

I did some further testing, I tried Ubuntu Focal Fossa which comes with a 5.4 kernel. It works fine on here. I then tested out Debian testing (bullseye). Which currently comes with a 5.4 kernel. It works here. I was then able to update to a 5.5 kernel (which I couldn't do with Ubuntu Focal Fossa)  and I have the same problem with hpasmlited segfaulting in the same way as on Fedora CoreOS.

I understand that most of the operating systems that i've mentioned are probably not supported, with the possible exception of Ubuntu. But it seemed sensible to report my problem in the hope that it can be resolved before other operating systems that are supported move onto a 5.5 (or possibly higher) Linux kernel.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

I have found an old post which has useful information:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Insight-Control-for-Linux/hp-health-hpasmlited-Debian-segfault/td-p/6921253

which indicates that adding "nopat" in kernel boot arguments has helped.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

ashakpezivink
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I had seen that post prior to opening my own.

I'm not convinced my issue is the same since I never see the PAT related error mentioned in the other post on any of my test systems.

If it would help I could certainly try it. But as others stated in the post, using the nopat option is only a workaround, not a fix as it could affect performance. The final message in the other post mentions compiling the components against a newer system which I believe may be what would be required again now to support the 5.5 Linux kernel.

Thanks