Operating System - Linux
1753637 Members
5798 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Wait For RAM Disk Response" while capturing a Linux image

BTW, do you have any phone number or email@ where i can request a L3 support ?

Thanks,

Laurent
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the server information. Let me talk to support to see if I can find a number for you to call.

What company do you work for?

Thanks,
Donna

Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Hi Laurent,

Can you also let us know what type of mezzanine cards are in your BL460c G6 blade server. You should be able to get this information from the OA.

Thanks,
Donna

Hello,

I work for TS (HP France).
Here are the mezzanine cards :
406771-B21 - HP NC326m PCI Express Dual Port 1Gb Server Adapter.

Thanks for your help.
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

Hi Laurent,

Going back a few posts. Can you explain what you mean by a "runaway loop" problem?

Your job is failing because the server is not properly booting up into the IC-Linux ramdisk. The CMS is waiting for teh ramdisk to come up and contact it, but that is never happening.

Please explain more abuot exactly what is happening when your server reboots.

You should see the server shut down, then power back on, run power on self test, and then boot the IC-Linux ramdisk via virtual media.

Please describe what yuo are seeing.

Thanks,
Mitch

Hi Mitchell,

When running the Linux image capture, the task fails at "Wait for RAM Disk Response" step.
I see the server shut down, then power back on, run power on self test, and then boot the IC-Linux ramdisk via virtual media. But when booting the IC-Linux ramdisk I can see "request_module: runnaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c" (See the attached screenshot).
William Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

Looks like the kernel is failing to boot successfully very early in the startup process. Were you able to run a bare metal discovery process on this node? Could you try deleting the node from SIM and then selecting the Management processor and running an "Initiate bare metal discovery" on it. The kernel used for discovery and capture is the same 32bit kernel. I'm surprised one worked, and the other didn't.

In fact I modified the initrd.img as advised in the documentation for Blades G6.
I don't know if the initrd.img is failing, but I checked that the image is the good one, and it seemed so.
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Laurent,

A few more questions for you.

1. Was this a fresh install of IC-Linux 6.2 or an upgrade?

2. Prior to doing the IC-Linux capture, did you use IC-Linux "6.2" to install RHEL5.4 on the blade server? Or was this a pre-installed server that you're trying to capture?

3. Did you try deleting the server from HP SIM and doing another bare metal discovery (as Will Athanasiou suggested)?

Thanks,
Donna

Hello,

Here are my answers :

1. It's a fresh install of IC-Linux 6.2 (a previous version was installed but I uninstalled it first). The capture never worked.

2. All servers were pre installed. IC-Linux purpose is to monitor these servers, but now we need also the capture function in order to be able to "backup" the servers.

3. I didn't try deleting the server in HP SIM because I'm not onsite at the moment. I need a few weeks more to get back there.

Thanks,