5226 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Wait For RAM Disk Response" while capturing a Linux image

Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

Laurent,

To to add another data collection point to this, could you please try the "Boot to Linux rescue mode" function on this server and see if it exhibits the same behavior?

Thanks,
Mitch

Hello, i tried everything, but the server successfully boots when I'm not trying to capture it...

I also changed the initrd of Insight Control Repository by this one : ftp://www.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-linux/p2057226266/v62035/initrd-rh5u4-x86_64.img
Mitchell Kulberg
Valued Contributor

OK, need some more clarification.

First - when you say it boots ok unless you're capturing. That means you are able to "Boot to Linux rescue mode", right? Can you see the server's filesystem from there? If you go to the console, you should see a prompt that says something like "Press ENTER to continue using this console". Press enter and you'll get a prompt. Then, under that ramdisk filesystem I think you'll see the local files on the server under /target or /TARGET or something like that (I'm not in office now to check). Maybe just do a 'mount' command to see where it's mounted. If it's not mounted, try to mount them to verify that you can indeed read the filesystem on the server from the HP ramdisk.

ALSO - When you said you downloaded a new initrd, can you explain more? Those are for OS installations only and are not related to capture at all. I just want to make sure you didn't put it somewhere it didn't belong.

Thanks,

Hello,

I mean, I succedeed in booting linux in rescue mode !
No problem at all.

I downloaded a new initrd because it's described in the User Guide.
I replaced the /opt/repository/boot/IcleToolkitBoot/initrd.img with the one I downloaded.
BTW, it didn't worked either with the original initrd.img

Thanks.
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Laurent,

Did you try deleting the node from SIM and then selecting the Management processor and running an "Initiate bare metal discovery" on it?

If not, can you please try this and let us know if the discovery is successful.

Thanks,
Donna
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

BTW, here's the information to escalate so we can formally track with HP tech support.

Customer call 800-633-3600

Thanks,
Donna
William Athanasiou
Occasional Advisor

In reading back through the conversation, you mentioned that you are able to boot the server into rescue mode (Diagnose->Boot to Linux Rescue Mode), but were not able to do the capture because of the "runaway loop" issue. I'm struggling to figure out why. The kernel and initrd used in the Linux rescue mode are the same ones used in the capture mode (/opt/repository/boot/IcleToolkitBoot/{kernel,initrd.img})

The error message you are seeing usually means that there is a mismatch between the kernel and the OS. One is 32bit and the other 64bit. Could you provide a listing with file sizes for the /opt/repository/boot/IcleToolkitBoot directory?