1752538 Members
4769 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Any updates on ISEE?

Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Any updates on ISEE?

We have serious reservations about installing any type of web server on our L1000. There are two business apps running (quite smoothly) on our system, and our users access the system using telnet. Everything is text-based and runs smoothly and efficiently. We currently have 11.0 installed, and since I haven't had problems for three years; I haven't installed patches, other then ones I needed for specific issues.
If it isn't broke, why fix it?

Hopefully, HP will reconsider its decision to discontinue using a dial out. As a compromise, how about letting a script be run through cron and send an email to the admin if there is an issue? Then the admin can email the info. to HP if necessary.

Any thoughts appreciated.
RD
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
9 REPLIES 9
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

ISEE comes in 2 flavors:
1)SC (standard configuration) - basically
works with outbound http port 80,sends encrypted EMS events to HP regional center.Can
do this through usual hhtp proxy server.Why not?Hp will know at the same time as cautios admin does (one that set EMS to send him/his an e-mails),it speeds up the proccess.
2)Advanced Configuration.SC + Remote VPN Access + Centralized events view.Can speak a lot about being secure / non-secure,this one is a separate issue of allowing companies to access your site or not.

P.S Another bonus of ISEE - support of connected devices (scsi/fc),I tested it on
SAN with some VA devices - worked nice.
Secure issues though can be not nice.I'd
advise to cancel remote scripts execution or
at least be cautios about whats going on.

Regards,
Zeev
So computers don't think yet. At least not chess computers. - Seymour Cray
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Zeev,
Has anyone installed ISEE on an L1000 that was running 11.0? I was wondering how it went.
RD
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

Richard,
Some issues though:
1)11.0 needs patches see here
http://h61001.www6.hp.com/ISEE_Support/
2)let it work through proxy
3)put the isee.europe.hp.com (in case and you're in Europe) in the /etc/hosts
4)read "Get started with ISEE..." I think from
docs.hp.com.
5)It requires EMS/STM Dec 2001 and up.Newer are
usually better.

Regards,

Zeev
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Has anyone decided to NOT install Apache and not use ISEE? If so, I wonder what the ramifications are for support from HP? Does anyone know if they are offering an alternative to companies who refuse to put their servers on the Internet?
RD
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

Richard,
I think you misunderstand ISEE's role in HP strategy of remote support / notification tools.You can install Apache (supported btw by HP 2.x see software.hp.com) and not install ISEE at all.ISEE provides real time notification + advanced features in its Advanced Configuration.Apache isn't required by ISEE,neither ISEE makes use of Apache AFAIK.
HP doesn't require to install ISEE - its up to you.You can configure EMS for example to send e-mails and it would be also real time notifications for admin.

Best regards,

Zeev
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Hi Zeev,
How else do you communicate using a browser if you don't have Apache, or some other web browser installed on your server? The config. instructions make it clear that a browser is used for communication.

I thought that once Predictive Support is discontinued on April 1, 2004 the only way that the server will be able to communicate problems to the support center would be by using ISEE, which appeares to require two things:
1) an internet connection
2) a web browser running

Are you saying that there is a way to send email notifications when a problem occurs, and neither of the above two items are required? If not, what steps do I need to take to use this alternative? Thanks.
RD

Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

Yes there is a way.
ISEE is basically a sort of delivery software.
I don't know exactly what technics hp use there,but it's based on Motive Chorus solution (www.motive.com).
Now,what basically happens is that ISEE requires and uses EMS system from Online Diagnostics.This is the one you can use to send you e-mails/snmp and write to syslog.log.

Read the FAQ on EMS here:
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/diag/index.html
go to EMS hardware monitors FAQ and User Guide. You can configure these monitors via
SAM or via /etc/opt/resmon/lbin/monconfig (and check with moncheck - the same dir).

Zeev
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Zeev, I did some research on EMS last night, and put a call into HP.
RD
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

I have installed ISEE on 20 HPUX syste,s running 11.0 and 11.11. No problems. Runs very smooth without the problems of a modem. You do not need to install Apache to run ISEE.
UNIX IS GOOD