Re: Anyone using HP Insight Online?

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you.
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Yes, the version I downloaded is 7.0.5.0193. I will go ahead and install it.
seamasters
Advisor

Steve,

I don't really understand the multiple network question you are asking.  I think it boils down to whether the hosting device has access to both networks or not.  If your Insight RS hosting device can see both the iLO4s, and the G5-7 servers you should be able to discover all of them by entering the correct ip addresses / ranges.  The older ProLiants would be monitored via the management agents, and the Gen8s via the iLO4. 

If that does not work for you, I would follow up on the defect you logged with support.  There have been some patches around multi-homed network hosting devices that may help with what you are seeing.  If not, at least the case you are seeing will be tracked by the development team. 

Of course, if the hosting device cannot see both networks, you are faced with either installing agents on the Gen8s, or running two instances of the hosting device.

I am an HP employee.
AndyC
Advisor

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all your questions and feedback.

> 2. I downloaded a newer version of 7.0.5 from the Software Depot

> last week - but assume that the Version update function of IRS

> should  install this update automatically.  The Version Control page

> shows I have 7.0.5.70 and there are no updates....yet the version

> I downloaded is  something like 7.0.5.188.  Please explain?

When we release a new product patch, it will show up in the list of available updates and will be automatically installed if you configure updates to be automatically downloaded and installed. 

> 4. On the IRS Home page in the Message Board I have 2 Major errors:

> Install Package: HpSimAdapterNonPlugin(7.0.5.155) - note different

> version number from above.  How do I clear these messages.  I am not

> using HP Insight Manager.

Don't worry about the different version numbers.  The HP SIM Adapter gets updated independently of the rest of the IRS, so its build number (the least significant digits of the version) won't be the same as the rest of IRS.  HpSimAdapterNonPlugin v 7.0.5.xxxx is compatible with IRS v 7.0.5.yyyy

If you are configured to get automatic updates, or if you explicitly choose to install the HP SIM Adapter, the HP SIM Adapter package will be downloaded and will attempt to install.  If you aren't using HP SIM, the installation will fail gracefully and will note the failure in a message on the home screen.

The messages on the home screen can be expanded and collapsed to see more detail.

There isn't currently a way to delete messages from the home screen.

Cheers,

-Andy

I am an HP employee.
lowen
Advisor

Hi Andy, regarding your feedback on Insight Online Reporting:

>Reporting seems to return either bizarre results or not what was expected (certainly as far as I'm concerned) : for example, a warrenties report will show the same device repeated four times with no warrenty expiration date for some devices, while others are skipped all together (with all devices selected for the report).

The same device will repeat if it has a warranty, a carepack and a contract.  We are looking at other options for the reports, including just showing the highest level of entitlement.  

We have made some recent improvements to Insight Online reporting and so it would be great if you could run another report and send an example if you are still seeing issues. 

Thanks,

Lucy

I am an HP employee
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Hello, regarding multiple networks, after discovering a G6 server using the snmp (mgmt agents) on 10.4.5.x I tried to discover a G8 server on it's ilo4 address 192.168.10.x and this didn't work.  I reported this in one of the cases below:

4642626535 Remote Support 7.0.5 Collections Fail Oct 22, 2012  

4642600329 Remote Support ILO4 Enabled NO Oct 19, 2012  

4642420863 Cannot monitor SLES serv...Oct 08, 2012

and the final answer was that this does not work.  So I stopped trying.   Today I tried it again and am able to discover a G8 on the ILO network while already monitoring G6 servers on the O/S network.   So I guess I can discover servers on multiple networks.  

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

I've just run another Contracts and Warranties report, which still gives (to me) confusing results and almost no warranty expiration dates.

Is there an email address I should send this to? I don't really want to post this as an attachment as it obviously contains sensitive data.

Andy

lowen
Advisor

Hi Andy, thanks for re-running the Insight Online contracts & warranties report and sorry you are still having problems with this.  I have sent you a private message with an email address to send it to.  I will work with the reporting team on what is going on and get back to you.

-Lucy

I am an HP employee
Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

Email sent :-)

blueboltvfx
Advisor

Have to say that finally getting all of my systems entered in Insight has taught me a few things, most notably that several systems are about to expire :)

However, any reports i generate are invariably empty, regardless of device group or start/end dates.  The HP header and footer are there, but the PDF is devoid of content.