1753946 Members
7902 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot Install Remote Support Software Manager

Sandman70
Occasional Contributor

Cannot Install Remote Support Software Manager

Man, this is a problematic piece of software. In 3 different installations, I've yet to get one to install correctly.

I have a newly built server running WIN2K3/SP2. I am doing a fresh install of SIM 5.3/SP1, all goes well until I try to install the RSSM component. There is nothing generated in the install log, only the attached cryptic error. I also have the required .NET 2.0 installed.
3 REPLIES 3
Frauke Denker_2
Esteemed Contributor

Do you install the Software Manager in the same installation step as the HP SIM? Whenever I install HP SIM and Insight Rempote Support Advanced I just install HP SIM first and install the RSSWM using the following depot:
https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=RSSWMBASE
This depot reduces the installation time as well as the packaged the RSSWm usually downloads from the internet is included.
If this still failes - is there a more specific error in the windows logs or the installation log file?
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I'm that you launch it directly, normally you just have to install SIM and RSSWM comes with it. Then it has to be initialized from somewhere under the start menu, and it will download the RSP components. I think it will not show up in Add/Remove Programs at all. Maybe it's already installed?

If it's not installed already, this is a loooooooong shot, but another possibility could be that the bug is triggered because you're trying to run setup.exe from a long path, on drive Z:. Run it from C:\TEMP or something similar, just to see.

Sandman70
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the responses guys. It ended up being a combination of things.

1. Had to copy the install files local instead of using a network share.
2. Had to enable DES in WIN2K3

Thanks for your help!