1748280 Members
3937 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DESTA - Database files growing out of control

RedLimey
Advisor

DESTA - Database files growing out of control

It looks like something is corrupt within our HPSIM/WEBES/SEA installation. Within the svctools\specific\desta\database\data\base folder there are folders named numberically. In particular folder, I have 3.5Gb of files and it's consuming any free space we have on that partition. We recently moved the page file off this partition (3+ Gb), so the rate of growth is abnormal. Question is why?

Any clues/pointers on how to troubleshoot this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SR
16 REPLIES 16
Teem

Re: DESTA - Database files growing out of control

Just upgraded to WEBES 6.0 last week and I'm seeing the exact same problem, except my folder is already up to 6 Gb and growing.
RedLimey
Advisor

Before I closed down for the night, I stopped the DESTA service. This morning when I came in, I still showed low space on the partition (no surprises there). After starting the DESTA service with the intent of seeing what I could find in the form of logs and events, I noticed in fairly quick time that the DB files has cleared out. I now have my space reclaimed.

We actually have two instances of HPSIM/WEBES (the other managed by a different team) and coincidentally, BOTH befell the same symptom over the same period. Very interesting.
Teem

Red,

Was that the first time that you had bounced the service since install? I wonder if thats a one time logging setting that gets cleared by stopping and starting the service?
RedLimey
Advisor

No - I recycled the service last night with no immediate indicator that DESTA was actually doing anything (I wasn't exactly patient to see if time would favor the recycle). Space never hit 0. I did see free space improve a little (say, 150mb to 370mb) before being re-consumed but did not ID what that was due to (desperate OS measure, like file compression?). Not finding any clues as to what was going on or what action to take, I decided to stop the service and hope the system didn't crash.

I think it's the same problem here. In the last weeks Postgres-DB is growing out of control in table "pg_largeobject" of "destadb" (actual 45 Mio records, 13 GB size). We installed WEBES 5.6 Update 2, but nothing changed. Any idea ?
RedLimey
Advisor

No answers here. We did have a repeat last night and this morning the partition was down to 10mb. I've killed DESTA and deleted the files for now. We're trying to get some feedback from an internal source at HP. If we find something, I'll pass it along. In the meantime, if someone else knows why/has the cure to whatever is screwing up with Webes, please pass it along.

Thanks,
-SR

After this weekend additional 2,5 GB used in table pg_largeobject (16 GB, 55 Mio rec). We found, binary data are form EVA eventlogs. We decided to drop and recreate pg_largeobject, but was rejected by permission to drop system table. Any idea ?
Teem

HP recommendations doing it tonight will let you guys know how it goes.

1) Go to Start/Allprograms/HewlettPackard/Remote Support Software Manager/Remote Support Software Manager Interface
On the Packages list select WEBES 6.0 and then click on remove
2) When WEBES is removed go to and download the WEBES Cleanup Util and run it
3) Then go to Add Remove Programs and remove Postgresl and delete the remaining folder under the C://ProgramFiles/Postgresql.
4) When all that is remove just go back to the Remote Support Software Manager Interface and select install to WEBES 6.0, this will install the new Postgresql.
5) The server needs to be rebooted.

HP told uns how to "reset" Database:

stop DESTA-service

Start ... -->PostSql 8.3 --> SQL Shell (psql)
Server [localhost]:
Database [postgres]:
Port [7950]:
Username [postgres]:
postgres=# drop database destadb;
DROP DATABASE
postgres=# drop database wbemdb;
DROP DATABASE
postgres=# drop database ed;
DROP DATABASE
postgres=# create database destadb with owner="WEBES" encoding='UTF8';
CREATE DATABASE