108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DESTA_Service service terminated unexpectedly

SOLVED
Go to solution
ehuang
Super Advisor

DESTA_Service service terminated unexpectedly

Having installed WEBES5.6 and update 2 (no error), I keep getting this event log on my Windows 2003. Of course, therefore no SEA Web GUI. WCCProxy.exe started fine. I have tried "net stop" both services, "clear Application event logs", no joy. Any idea how to troubleshoot it? Much appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
ITRC Test-CH
Trusted Contributor

Does WEBES have access to the PostgeSQL database? Some checks I've described in thread http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1408086

Regards, Werner
ehuang
Super Advisor

Werner, this is what I have done.

1>uninstalled all Webes including updates. uninstalled PostGre SQL, uninstalled WCCProxy
2>used WEBES Clean-up Utility to double clean.
3>restart
4>reinstall WEBES5.6, and Update 2

Problem is: I see ProstgreSQL8.3 installed under "All Programes" but I don't see "Prostgre Service" installed anywhere.

Thoughts?
Hobbes_2
Advisor

Let me ask you this. By 2003 do you mean 2003 R2 SP2? This looks like the same problem I am having. It will appear to install correctly but if you don't have a postgres service, the install failed. Documentation for Postgres on Windows is lacking but I don't find anywhere that they claim to support anything above 2003.

My research makes be believe there was a change to the "runas" command in SP2 for 2003 R2. The runas definitely changed in 2008 but I think it was before that. The new version does not allow you to runas a non-admin user. This is a problem for the postgres install as it creates a postgres user that isn't even in the Users group and then tries to install the database with this account. In fact, the installer will refuse to initialize the database with any kind of admin account. The installer has to be run by an admin account but changes context at some point during the install. I am assuming it uses runas to do this.

I have done some traces with Process Monitor and I see access denied trying to run cmd.exe as the admin user. Of course this user has access to cmd so I think it is trying to run runas. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to verify this. If this is the case, it's a problem with postgres....but HP didn't test very well.
Hobbes_2
Advisor

Alright, I was wrong. You can issue a runas in 2003 R2 SP2 as an administrator to access a non-admin account. The change was to the permission of cmd.exe which was what I was testing. I did get a manual install of postgres accomplished using the version that comes with WEBES5.6. I essentially run the install, let it fail, changed some permissions, then ran the initdb.exe as the posgres user and ran the full install again. Now I just need to figure out what changes I made that made the difference. I will post a clean procedure by the end of the day.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Hobbes, thanks for replying.

Yes, my system is Windows 2003 R2 SP2. I have another box with this same system and I PostgreSQL service was installed successfully. So I am totally lost. The only thought I have at this point is the one failed had ISEE before. So there might be something left over, probably some registration keys need to be cleared out.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Also, not sure if this is related. The server that the PostgreSQL couldn't be installed has Command View EVA9.1 installed. The whole idea why I need to run WEBES, is because I need my HPSIM server and IRS server monitor the EVA and get the HP phone-home service.
Hobbes_2
Advisor
Solution

I'm guessing the postgresql got installed on the other machine at some point. In my experience, the upgrade works just fine, just not a new install.

The way the Postgresql install is supposed to work is something like this; the installer is run by an admin account with access to create a new generic user called postgres. It then creates the directory structure and unpacks the files. Then it modifies the permissions of those files to allow for access from the installing admin account. Then an initialization program is run to set up the databse. This initdb executable must be run as a non-admin account, postgres in this case. The problem is it doesn't change context for some reason so the initdb uses the admin account and fails because it will not initialize with an admin account for security reasons. After this step, it is supposed to modify the dirctory permissions again to include access for the postgres account and then install the service and add items to the start menu. Non of this is done because the intitdb fails. The way I got around this problem is to run the initdb executable as the postgres user instead of relying on the execuable to make the context change for me. Here are my instructions. They are based on the default install locations. I was actually installing RSP or HP Insight Remote Support Advanced or whatever they are calling it now. The postgresql.exe that I run is coming from the expanded Remote Support install.

1. postgresql.exe --mode unattended --superpassword Webe$rules8552 --serverport 7950

This will fail with this error
creating template1 database in C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/base/1 ... initdb: could not execute command ""C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/bin/postgres.exe" --boot -x1 -F ": No error

initdb: removing contents of data directory "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data"

Failed to initialise the database cluster with initdb

This is because the initdb tried to run as the admin user...I think.

2. give postgres user execute permissions to c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
3. give postgres user Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read permissions on default postgresql install location root folder...and propagate.
4. give postgres Modify permissions on the data directory default location.
5. create password file called password.txt in the bin folder with the pasword Webe$rules8552 in it.
6. run this command for a command prompt....runas /user:postgres "cmd /K C:\Progra~1\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\initdb.exe --pwfile C:\Progra~1\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\password.txt --encoding=UTF-8 -A md5 -U postgres -D C:\Progra~1/PostgreSQL/8.3/data"

Use Webe$rules8552 as the password for the runas command.

This will take care of the initialization for you. Now we need to rerun the install to finish things up.

7. postgresql.exe --mode unattended --superpassword Webe$rules8552 --serverport 7950
8. Delete password file
9. remove access to cmd.exe

This is how I got PostgreSQL installed on Windows 2003 R2 SP2. Admittedly I am installing this at a customer site so I do not know if they have security changes on their base builds that effects this. I am installing a base 2003 R2 SP2 install on my laptop right now to test. Additionally, I got the same results with the latest postgresql install using the DBEnterprise installer. The HP supplied version is 8.3.1, I think. I am also going to need to install this on 2008 R2 so I will be testing that as well. I have not found any support matrix docs for OS versioning for Remote Support Advanced except that it needs to run on a CMS. I also believe that 2003 R2 32-bit and 2008 is supported for a CMS. IF that is the case....this seems to be a big problem.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Hobbes, the PostgreSQL was installed successfully on the other server I mentioned earlier. It was actually installed as part of HP Insight Remote Support Standard. The one failed was actually part of WEBES. I have decided not to install WEBES on this server because in order to monitor my SAN via IRS, I just need ELMC installed on this server.