cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devmon taking processor

Dwayne Skinner
Frequent Advisor

Devmon taking processor

We've been experiencing an issue for the last few months. The D:\Program Files\HP\Device Monitoring\bin\devmon.exe program consumes all of the CPU for about 20 minutes. The SIM server becomes so unresponsive it takes several minutes just to login to the server console. The SIM console doesn't work at all. According to our Operations staff this occurs every day between 8:30am - 9:30am, 10pm - 10:30pm and 1:30pm - 2pm.

I did some research and this executable is part of SNMP monitoring. I would like to run snmputil when this happens but you can't even login.

I didn't find anything about this specific to SIM when I googled "devmon.exe". All I did find was some program called Hobbit and that this was associated with SNMP monitoring.

I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on what this executable does and what might be causing the issue.
3 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Devmon taking processor

This is unrelated to HP SIM. It appears to be part of Insight Remote Support.
Dwayne Skinner
Frequent Advisor

Thanks David.

Can you tell me how you determined that this was Insight instead of SIM? For example, did you find any articles that led you to beleive it was Insight?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Well, it was a little bit of a roundabout way...I was unfamiliar with devmon.exe, so I checked my HP SIM test server and confirmed it was not there. Then I checked another system I have access to and it was. I knew that I wasn't running IRS and the other system was, and then I read some of the logs in the \Progra~1\HP\Device~1 tree and it confirmed for me what it was...