Insight Remote Support
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dummies guide to Insight Manager Managed Systems, HELP!!!!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leigh David Green
Occasional Contributor

Dummies guide to Insight Manager Managed Systems, HELP!!!!

Would very much appreciate a little advice with the installation of SIM on our HP-UX servers so that they can be monitored via our existing Windows based Insight Manager system. With the end of life of ISEE I have been asked to install SIM onto our HP-UX servers so that it can automatically alert HP of any hardware failures etc.

Can anyone please confirm simply what steps I need to take, I have tried looking around various HP docs which have just confused me more. So far I have installed the following depots onto the HP clients:

openssl_a.00.09.07m.050_hp-ux_b.11.23_ia_pa.depot
onlinediag_b.11.23.13.02_hp-ux_b.11.23_ia_pa.depot
sysmgmtweb_a.3.0.1_hp-ux_b.11.23_ia_pa.depot
wbemsvcs_a.02.07.02_hp-ux_b.11.23_ia_pa.depot

Is this all the software that is required on the clients?

When I now discover these clients, some show up with the serial numbers, which I believe is a sign that the software is working, and others don’t come back with anything, and complain that WBEM is not working?

I’m sorry for being a complete dummy with this, it’s landed on my lap to do when I’ve had no formal training or any understanding on the workings of this product, so really need a dummies guide to monitoring the HP-UX clients.
3 REPLIES
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Dummies guide to Insight Manager Managed Systems, HELP!!!!

First, you need to read the RSP prerequisites guide and be sure that you have everything needed on HP-UX.

Then, someone (don't know who, but I found it using google) wrote a very detailed and well-explained document which is available here:
http://www.e-planit.net/doku_texte/hpsim-sfm-rsp.txt

It gives a lot of info on installing and troubleshooting RSP for HP-UX, especially the SysFaultMgmt agents.

I also have a wrap-up posted here based on my personal experience:
http://omasse.blogspot.com/2009/02/oliviers-hot-tips-to-monitor-hp-ux.html

Good luck
mlizano
Occasional Visitor

Make sure the HP SIM server (CMS) and the HPUX client can talk to each other on ports 5989,5988 and 50004.

Another trick you may try is to add a WBEM protocol in WEBES, and the assign that protocol to the HPUX client in WEBES, then bring the client into the Default Group and see if the WBEM protocol authenticates ok (if it doesn't you'll see a red x)

There's many variables that could be involved here, but also check the suscriptions and see if both HP SIM and WEBES suscribed to WBEM events on the HPUX client.

Let me know if you need help doing that...
Leigh David Green
Occasional Contributor

"Then, someone (don't know who, but I found it using google) wrote a very detailed and well-explained document which is available here:
http://www.e-planit.net/doku_texte/hpsim-sfm-rsp.txt"

This document has helped me greatly, from this I discovered I was missing the SysMgmtBase software. The steps where easy to understand and follow. I've now got one of my HP-UX servers sending test alerts. But the guys who look after the Windows based SIM CMS now need to install the 'HP Service Essentials Remote Support Pack' so that I configure alerts to be sent direct to HP