Visitor

Gen8 / Gen9 Servers - IP instead of Hostname

Hi,
I would like to discuss to following issue:
We have some Multihomed Server with dedicated iSCSI Adapter, for instance:
NIC 1 + NIC 2 = Team Office LAN
NIC 3 = iSCSI 1
NIC 4 = iSCSI 2
When I discover this Server with its Office Lan IP (remember: teamed) it will show up correctly first, but soon change its server name to one of the iSCSI IP's.
I suppose the reason is that these IP Adresses are the only visible to the iLo because of the teaming configuration.

I understand that this is no problem for the functionality of IRS as it gets is information fron the iLo.
Nevertheless, I think there should be an option to override this behaviour.
Any thoughts?

Best regards

5 REPLIES 5
toddg1
HPE Pro

Re: Gen8 / Gen9 Servers - IP instead of Hostname

What version of Insight Remote Support are you running?

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
toddg1
HPE Pro

Also - are you running the AMS on this system? (sorry for 2 responses instead of one)

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
moorpheus
Visitor

IRS Version = 7.4.0.0021

HP AMS Service is running (OS Windows 2012 R2)

We had this problem with IRS, and eventually logged a call with HP support.

It seems that this is a fundamental problem with IRS. It will randomly pick whatever IP address it feels like using and then it tries to do a reverse lookup on it. If that reverse lookup fails, you are stuck with the IP address. Although there is a text field for the name, and you can backend the database and set it (Probably not recommended, but this was really ticking me off...), when device discovery runs it will do the reverse lookup on whatever IP it picks and if it fails, you're back to having an IP address instead of a name.

Workaround (Independently discovered, and also the best answer HP Support could come up with): Gather up all those IP addresses, put them in the HOSTS file on the IRS server with the correct names, and then reverse lookup of those IPs works, and you get names instead of random IP addresses. Even this hasn't worked 100% and I am stuck with some blades that refuse to display anything but an IP address.

Come on HP, how hard is it to just add a 'Friendly Name/Alias/Display Name' field to the database and let us fill in what we want??

moorpheus
Visitor

My workaround:

Disable RIBCL for these Servers and monitor only via SNMP.