New Discussion юеВ

HP Insight RS Advance or Standard?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ehuang
Super Advisor

HP Insight RS Advance or Standard?

Hi there,

I am planning to deploy HP Insight Remote Support to replace the soon-to-be-discontinoued ISEE. Not sure which version may I install? HP Insight RS Standard or Advanced? What is the major concern when making a choice?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP Insight RS Advance or Standard?

The size of the infrastructure is the primary consideration.
RS Standard is for smaller organisations. It's standalone and you don't need HP SIM etc.

We opted for Advanced because we already had ISEE for the EVA support and an HP SIM installation. We were already familiar with a lot of the interacting products (WEBES, CommandView etc.)
ehuang
Super Advisor

Rob, I already have a HP SIM server but it's on a virtual machine, hence the Remote Support Pack is not supported by HP. If I choose Advance version of HP Insight RS, would it be working properly even without HP SIM? or it works as HP SIM agent? Thanks.
ITRC Test-CH
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
Both IRS Standard and Advanced must be installed on a physical machine, that the remote communication is working and in a supported state. With IRS Advanced there are extended remote support services available.
Regards, Werner
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure about the requirements for RS Standard. We bit the bullet and opted for a physical server.
Went against the grain a bit as we're really moving to a virtual server environment.

We started from a fresh install of HPSIM, WEBES etc. and then moved the ISEE EVA stuff across once things were settled. There's a few steps with that. Mainly involves copying the correct version of the WCCProxy over to the CV Server.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Rob,

I need your expertise.

Here is my plan: I will uninstall ISEE on my CV server (physical machine). Then install HP IRS (Advance) on it to monitor my EVA. I already have a HP SIM but it's a virutal machine so it is not supported by HP in the terms of real-time monitoring like ISEE does. Do you have any better solutions? Right now, to monitor the EVA via HP SIM is very limited and very troublesome. After all, HP doesn't see it if there is a problem on the SAN. Via ISEE on the physical machine, HP sees it. But ISEE is going to end her life.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"Here is my plan: I will uninstall ISEE on my CV server (physical machine). Then install HP IRS (Advance) on it to monitor my EVA."

IRS Advanced gets installed on the machine running SIM.

"I already have a HP SIM but it's a virutal machine so it is not supported by HP in the terms of real-time monitoring like ISEE does. Do you have any better solutions?"

The only real options at the moment would be to install/re-configure SIM onto a physical box and use IRS Advanced...

or

Uninstall youre current ISEE from your physical box and install IRS Standard on the same box.

"Right now, to monitor the EVA via HP SIM is very limited and very troublesome. After all, HP doesn't see it if there is a problem on the SAN. Via ISEE on the physical machine, HP sees it. But ISEE is going to end her life."

"ISEE Software" is EoL, NOT the Support Service. IRS replaces ISEE and works pretty much the same as ISEE did, but the software components are somewhat more integrated with each other. IRS includes WEBES/SEA and several other componets that you may or may not be familiar with. You will have the same monitoring capability as ISEE once you install IRS.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Chad Brindley
Regular Advisor

Hi All,

We ceased hardware and software support with HP once our Warranty expired last year, we are now using a 3rd party to maintain the hardware specifically for these Servers although ISEE was still installed and working on the Servers and logging calls with HP I kind of used this as an alert to then log calls with our 3rd party, I have just found out our 3rd party support use Assure 24 for HPUX monitoring, anyone else used this, is it any good?

I assume come the 1st June we might as well uninstall ISEE anyway from the Servers?

I dont have the time to monitor these Servers so need something similar to ISEE which doesn't require HP Contracted Support at the other end, just wondered what other's are doing or going to do when the product is End of Life?

Regards,

Chad

Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Chad,

Although I couldn't tell since I don't use a third party myself, what I suggest is to just complete the prerequisites to have RSP working without installing RSP and entitling your systems. Then, use SIM to regularly check the health of your servers. If something becomes red, then you can investigate and can call your third party if appropriate.

Olivier.

Alfredo E.
Occasional Contributor

I am in the same situation.

We are going to install HP SIM on a VM and we must have IRS on a HP physical server.

We must because we do not want to install agenst on ESX host.

We need to know HOW to configure either to just use IRS standard to monitor 18 server or use IRS advanced to interact with SIM. I dont know if this matters.

I hope somebody answers! 

please help!