Insight Remote Support
1752722 Members
7153 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Remote Support 7.0.5 Registration Across Internet to Central server.

Dan813
Occasional Visitor

HP Remote Support 7.0.5 Registration Across Internet to Central server.

We have several different customer DL 380p G8 servers that we would like to register with our 'central' HP Remote Support server in our office(across the internet, not on the same WAN/LAN..etc)

Here is the error all of our G8 ILO4 comes back with when we attempt to register:

"Remote Support Registration Error. Please unregister and re-register device. (Insufficient device identifier information)"    --Except the server never shows up in RS server, so I can't un-register/re-register!

If I were to purposely change the server address to something different (that I know won't work), we get this error:

"Remote Support Registration Error. Transmission to Insight Remote was unsuccessful. Please check connectivity to the Insight Remote Support Host. (Can not connect to remote host)"

So, I know the G8 and my Central RS server are 'talking', but I don't know what Insufficient device idintifier information" means. 

About our environment:

All firewalls off, all ports open. We have a public IP natted straight into the central RS server in our office, no firewalls, no blocking.

Is this configuration even possible?

The G8 registers successfully if the RS server is on the same LAN!

6 REPLIES 6
Jason5876
Visitor

Re: HP Remote Support 7.0.5 Registration Across Internet to Central server.

I would be interested to see what comes of this as well as I currently have this exact same error and so far this is the only post I have found on the internet to date.

Dan813
Occasional Visitor

Still no answer. I've opened several cases with HP and they are blaming a firewall for the issue. I think their system simply doesn't support this configuration for whatever reason.

Side note: It was nearly impossible to find this thread again using the search feature. 

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>It was nearly impossible to find this thread again using the search feature.

Why bother searching for your posts?  Just click on your name:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/1413759

Brad Cunningham
Trusted Contributor

Is this happening on mutiple servers?

I have seen this before and was able to correct the issue simple resetting the ILO.

Also make sure that you have the correct version of ILO firmware.

I know you mention there is no firewall but a good test would be to C: telnet "hosting server IP" 7906 to make sure nothing is in the way.

Dan813
Occasional Visitor

Update. After getting our ticket escalated to Level 3. I was advised that SNMP monitoring through NAT'd networks is NOT a supported feature at this time. It was not mentioned if it will ever be supported in the future.

I suppose my recommendation at this point is to set up a VM or seperate IRS server on at each customer site and have monitoring emails go to a central email address instead(for notificaiton purposes).

So, basically, you cannot use a central IRS server and monitor Generation 8 servers on different networks.

SANJAY MUNDHRA
HPE Pro

is TCP ports 7906 and 443 open between the two IP addresses (ILO4 and IRS Server IP addresses).

Cheers,
Sanjay Mundhra
I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo