New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.3

SOLVED
Go to solution
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

HP SIM 7.3

Hi, 

I am installing a brand new version of HP SIM and I was told that there is a 7.0.9 remote support advance available.  When I did the SIM installation, the remote support that got installed was still 5.8.  Is 5.8 the real most recent version integrated under SIM, does a new version coming?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Cali
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check the IRS Installation done by SIM.

I think that this "Installation" is only a notify Information to Download an Install IRS by yourself.

After SIM Setup download IRS 7.0.9 here

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=REMOTESUPPORT

than after IRS Setup was done activate the "SIM Integration Adapter" inside IRS.

(SIM and IRS have to run on the same Host)

If you are using the Integration Adapter you have not to enter all the IP and Login Information in IRS.

All Hosts and Login Accounts are then pulled from SIM.

There is no more Integration inside SIM as in the Past.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
christian_derek
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Since I monitor Integrity Servers, should I stick with 7.2 with Irs 5.8. Is there a plan to bring all the feature in the new IRS or have IRS 7.09 advance?

Thanks,
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

You're going to want to talk to your HP rep if you have one on this topic. I don't know all of the details on what will be in the next IRS product (7.1xx).  Certainly not all features from IRSA will be in IRS.

One thing I know IRS will not have is the warranty lookup feature. Basically, I am setting up a second CMS with 7.3/IRS 7.x to support newer generations of systems and leaving the current SIM at 7.2.2 with IRSA 5.80 for anything i can't move over.

It's annoying, yes, but I want to go agentless so I want to go IRS anyhow.

toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi,

I am not certain what you mean by "Warranty Lookup Feature"?

Insight RS v7 does have Warranty and Contract information in the I-RS user interface itself.  It's true

that in v7, this information is no longer pushed to HP SIM as in the past, but this is in the main tool.

The notifications for expiring/expired warranty/contract information is also in the new version (although it

has to be configured).

When you select a device - there is a warranty and contract "page" with summary details, there is also a link to see the details that were obtained from the HP servers.

Can you help me understand what you think is missing?

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

@toddg1 wrote:

Hi,

I am not certain what you mean by "Warranty Lookup Feature"?

that in v7, this information is no longer pushed to HP SIM as in the past, but this is in the main tool.

The question was about SIM - so that's what I meant, you won't get the CW column populated anymore to run reports.  has to be handled through IRS.

I do not believe IRS will work with the HP OM integration for HP case population.  I also do not think service cases get updated in SIM like they do now.  I haven't verified yet, but I do not believe IRS is multi-vendor, meaning if you have a service contract with HP for Dell servers, it will send information on Dell equipment for automatic case handling.  It also does not handle more than 2,500 devices (a recent change used to be much less).

IRSA customers will likely be forced to run 2 CMS consoles like I am - one for legacy hardware/IRSA and one for newer with IRS.  I have recently started to set up IRS and it is a completely different product, as mentioned, so now you have to manage to systems instead of one (SIM and IRS).  I realize the whole point of IRS is to register machines and not worry about events, but in my experience, you cannot trust 1 system to work as intended so you may miss hardware events, so we also send events from SIM to Remedy, and then also send IRSA events to HP.  There have been a few occasions where IRSA/WEBES caught something that did not send a trap, and vice versa.

Just my observations at this point.