New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM CMS, RSP and HP-UX... I'm confused

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mauro Gatti
Valued Contributor

HP SIM CMS, RSP and HP-UX... I'm confused

Hi all,
I'm really confused about HP SIM and RSP.
Looking in HP's doc and forums I wasn't able to understand if RSP exists on HP-UX pltaform.
I installed HP SIM on a couple of rx6600 machines as a package of ServiceGuard. Now I'd like to integrate what time ago was named ISEE (which now is named RSP if I'm not mistaken) in HP SIM but I didn't understand if it is possible or if RSP exists for HP-UX or not.javascript:postMessageSubmit('submit');
Looking at docs I read that to use RSP I need a proliant with windows! Is that right?
Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

RGDS

Mauro
Ubi maior, minor cessat!
2 REPLIES 2
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP SIM CMS, RSP and HP-UX... I'm confused

Mauro,

You've got it right. To monitor HP-UX servers, you need to setup a SIM and RSP on a server running on a Proliant with Windows even though SIM is available on HP-UX.

Installing SIM on HP-UX is maybe not pointless (yet), but to benefit from RSP you really need to move on to Windows. Being a hardcore HP-UX admin I'll spare you my feeling about this.

Does this make sense? RSP is actually a set of many tools (ISEE, OSEM, WEBES, data collection tools) and I think the problem is that it would take too much work to port all of them to HP-UX.

The result, however, is that RSP is much more complex than the good old ISEE. But I'm sure HP will eventually release better documentation and tools to help HP-UX admins make the transition more easily. They're listening, beleive me.

My word of advice is to start with a clean, vanilla Windows server and follow the instructions to the letter, and you'll save yourself some trouble.

I don't know how many of us have started the transition yet. But I'm monitoring this thread regularly so don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions.

Good luck
Mauro Gatti
Valued Contributor

Re: HP SIM CMS, RSP and HP-UX... I'm confused

Thank You Olivier.
HP-UX... poor thing! :-)

Regards

Mauro
Ubi maior, minor cessat!