5554 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to uninstall ISEE on EVA3000 SAN Appliance

Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

How to uninstall ISEE on EVA3000 SAN Appliance

Greetings,

I got an e-mail from HP saying the ISEE is EOL as of June 1st. So I'm trying to figure out how to install HP Insight Remote Support in the SAN Appliance. The manual I downloaded (HP Insight Remote Support Quick Start Guide) says nothing about how to deinstall ISEE on the SAN Appliance which appears to be a Windows 2000 Advance Server.

I have virtually no experience with Windows servers, I'm mostly UNIX/Linux. From what I can tell it looks like have to deinstall ISEE, OSEM, HPCC? Can someone direct me to a manual that has step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: How to uninstall ISEE on EVA3000 SAN Appliance

Victor:

In the control panel, look for "Add/Remove Programs". In that applet, you should find ISEE, WEBES and OSEM and possibly HPCC.

Keep in mind that you might want to leave ISEE for last.. if you are going to Migrate data to IRS. If you are just going to manually feed the data back in (easily doable in a small environment) then remove all of the retired software, make sure you got .net 2.0 installed and you should be good/ready to install RSSWM... which will than download all the necessary IRS software and install it for you.

Incase you need the link...

" http://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=RSSWMBASE "

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Steven,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have time right now to work on it because something else came up (as it always does).

We use ISEE on the EVA3000 SAN Appliance only to send e-mails when there's a hardware failure like when a disk fails. Whatever other features it has we don't use. Want to do the same with the HP Insight Remote Support.

Thanks,
Vic
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The SMA (EOLed last year) uses a special 'stripped down' version of Windows 2000 Adv Server.

The IRSS Quickspec says:
""IMPORTANT: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista operating systems are not supported as HP Insight Remote Support Hosting Devices.""

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13265_div/13265_div.html

Depending on the Firmware version of your EVA, you might be able to re-image the box with a nice stock Windows 2003/2008 and then put a current version of CV-EVA (minimum is 7.0.1) on top before you install IRSS.
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

How do I determine the firmware version of my EVA?

Is there any doc. that provides the steps that would have to be done?

How whould I get the CV-EVA software?

Thanks,
Vic
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

You can get the firmware version in Command View, you'll see it in the main CV screen where it shows the system properties.

As for being able to upgrade CV, well, that might be the hard part. You need to have a software support contract for CV, which entitles you to order a CD or download it from the ITRC's Software Update Manager. The last version is 9.0 but I'm not sure if the 3000 is supported.

The hard part will be the licences, especially if you have CA or BC. The licence file format has changed from CV 6 to CV 7 two years ago, there is no tool to convert existing licences, and it's a PITA to have new ones generated. I just started the process, and I fear it's going to be a long one.

The earliest CV version supported by RSP is 6.0.2. That's what we're currently using at 6 sites, one of them has an EVA3000 and it works well.

Good luck
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Olivier,

You have to understand I barely know how to use the SAN appliance. So a lot of your post, especially the abbr.s, didn't mean much to me.

I think the firmware version is 6.0.2.37. Saw it on the login screen for Command View EVA.

Based on the rest of your post it sounds like too much work. I guess I can still use ISEE since it'll send me e-mails when hardware fails and I then can place a call. The EVA3000 shouldn't be around for more than another year.

Thanks,
Vic
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Nothing beats logging into Command View once a week to confirm that everything it okay, as all the monitoring tools may fail. If you have less that a year this is a great avenue. :)

I have a feeling that the ISEE emails (coming from ISEE@hp.com) will cease to function once the service is closed down for good, as they are generated by HP when it receives the event. However, WEBES does send e-mail directly to you from the storage appliance (those with "SEA" in the subject line) and since it's the actual monitoring engine, that would be enough. But be careful, as some versions of WEBES have a built-in timebomb and it stops working after a year unless you upgrade or the HP guy who installed it configured it otherwise. I've been burned by that time bomb once, thus why I now take great care into configuring monitoring myself.