Insight Remote Support
1753620 Members
6443 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IRS doesn't support G7 and G6 Proliant servers?

JonisFEARP
Occasional Contributor

IRS doesn't support G7 and G6 Proliant servers?

Hi.

I'm new here, so sorry if it's a dumb question.

I have G6, G7 and G8 proliant servers. G8 are working fine in my IRs installation, but I can't get G6 and G7 to work. Is these servers not supported or am I doing something wrong?

My servers (all) are running XenServer and I have setup correct credentials for all.

4 REPLIES 4
toddg1
HPE Pro

HI Jonis - it would appear that you have likely setup the I-RS client to monitor the Gen8 devices using the iLO 4 capability - and given I-RS the login credentials for the iLO4.

That is an acceptable way to setup the Gen8 devices.  However, the iLO in the G6/7 family of products

cannot be supported in this fasion.

In order to support these devices - you will need to find the latest Support Pack for ProLiant (SPP) from

the HP website. Install and configured this SPP on all of your servers and then enable it to run.

I-RS uses SNMP to speak to this type of server - so you would configure the discovery credential of type

SNMP if you have a read-comminuty string that is not "public".

Hope this helps.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
JonisFEARP
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I'm lost here. SPP doesn't mean Service Pack for Proliant servers? If yes and if I'm right, this DVd is just to upgrade all firmwares in my servers, right? If So, I'll do that......but I'm bit confused. I've updated my iLO (2 and 3) to latest version. SNMP is configured in iLO interface, right? Since I'm running latest version of iLO, I won't need to upgrade all my server firmwares, right?

If this isn't right, from which service SNMP run? It's an OS service? If yes, this will not work for me, since I'm running XenServer on these servers. If this SNMP is not an OS service and is not iLO configuration, where should I configure this settings?

Tks!

toddg1
HPE Pro

The SPP is more than just firmware, it also contains OS agents that work with SNMP to provide the

data needed to support these devices.

For the G6 and G7, we do not use the iLO for support at all - we use these operating system

providers to support the device.

I am not an SPP expert - I would have to refer you to the HP webpage that describes

the support pack - and whether or not it is compatible with the XenServer - these agents

would likely run as a daemon on the system.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Basically, you will have two different methods of communication (if you want to use agentless monitoring via the iLO4 for Gen8, which is optional):

Gen8:

- iLO4 via RIBCL protocol (for "agentless" option)

OR

- Management Agents via SNMP or WBEM (for "agent-based" option)

Gen7 and below:

- Management Agents via SNMP or WBEM (for "agent-based" option)

So, you will not use the iLO2 or iLO3 for IRS directly.  You will discover your Gen8's via the iLO (or register them from the iLO or PowerShell script), and your Gen7's via the SNMP/WBEM agents.  In both cases, you have specify credentials you need to configure first. 

There needs to be a little thought on the authentication/communication methods before you start to put devices into IRS.  It will save you a lot of re-work later.  For example, if you are going to use SNMP at all, set a community name standard and deploy that to all your machines first.  Same for the iLO4 user if using that option.  Once you have all your methods worked out, put the credential types into IRS and let it fly.   If you are lucky and everyone is set up correctly on your hosts, you'll be done with your first bulk discovery.

I am at the point where I am somewhat happy with the Gen8 machines, so I am now moving my IRSA Gen7s to IRS to see how that goes..

Another tip - read up closely on the agentless management stuff before going that way.  While it is truly agentless, if you want more information forwarded to IRS/events you'll probably want to use the small AMS agent (Windows, Linux, VMware, there is a version for each).