New Discussion юеВ

ISEE @ EVA-5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Popy
Regular Advisor

ISEE @ EVA-5000

I have installed ISEE in EVA-5000.
The installation was successful and I got the three installation events too.
Now, one disk failed in the EVA but ISEE couldn't pick any event.The procedure I followed I am giving below Please correct if it is wrong..
1.Tested connectivity to isee.asiapac.hp.com/mots/motserv--It was Ok
2.Installed ISEE windows client in SMA and configured
3.Given the EVA entitlement.
4.Executed the EVE-yeah_221 component
It has detected the Two EVAs attached to the SMA.It asked for the serial Numbers of EVAs
and I got EVA Installation event in the ISEE console too.

Now Can anybody tell me where is the problem what went wrong ?
Any response will be highly appreciable

Regards
Raneesh Vijayan
8 REPLIES 8
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

Re: ISEE @ EVA-5000

Do you have the event handler OSEM and WEBES installed. If not check the first page of Appendix J of the "ISEE Installation and Upgrade Guide" for EVA instructions.

You can send a test event (that should show up as an ISEE incident) from Start > Programs > OSEM v1.3.1 folder. Also check Notifications in the OSEM viewer found in the same folder, you should see the test event and there should be a link to the ISEE incident.

There is more to do but this is a start.

Take care,
frank
All knowing is doing.
Popy
Regular Advisor

Hello Frank,
WEBES is not present in SMA.Is it a must ?
I was following a 10 step installation procedure which we have got from AP program manager.OSEM is the NT event manager or we need to install separately ?
Pls calrify,
Regards
Raneesh
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

Raneesh,

You are quite correct OSEM is an event handler that must be installed and configured on the SMA (Storage Management Appliance) as part of the normal installation of the ISEE client on the SMA.

Verify the ISEE client is installed and working properly, i.e., you must see these three ISEE installation incidents:

o New_Installation
o Connectivity_Test
o Entitlement_Check

I would also send an OSEM test event to make sure that SNMP traps from OSEM are displayed as ISEE incidents. On the SMA you send a OSEM test event by following this path: Start > Programs > OSEM V1.3.1 > Test OSEM.

Finally, you must install WEBES on the SMA. WEBES checks the log files for reactive EVA events and passes them to OSEM, which forwards significant EVA events to the ISEE client.

For more details see the "HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition Installation and Update Guide" (June 2004) section:

o D "Installing ISEE on Windows Clients" for step-by-step instructions to install the ISEE Client on a ProLiant windows system (i.e., your SMA).

o Links to the OSEM installation components and documentation and steps to configure OSEM support for ISEE Monitored Clients are available in ├в Understanding ISEE /OSEM Support Options├в on page 50 (in the "HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition Installation and Update Guide".

o Appendix J "Configuring Support for Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA) Devices"(page 142) for a link to the WEBES software and documentation. NOTE: You must download WEBES 4.3.2 NOT 4.3.1 as the Guide states.

I hope this helps. If not don't hesitate to post again.

Take care,
frank
PS If this helps please remember to assign poin
All knowing is doing.
Partsch

Hello,

I would like to connect to your communication about EVE/ WEBES. I'm little bit confused. Our latest info about WEBES installation on EVA MA are bellow. Is it still true?

There have been some developments since our last communication (April 7th), about the Remote Monitoring situation for EVA's.
We therefore want to provide you with an update on the direction for EVA monitoring in EMEA.

In summary

Based on reviews from the w/w ISEE, WEBES and EVE teams, it is stronly advised to continue deployment of EVE for monitoring EVA's until September timeframe.
For heterogeneous environments where both EVA and HSG80 based systems need to be monitored the recommendation of course is to implement the latest WEBES version.
With the release of INDUS + and an updated WEBES version in September we will fully implement and migrate to WEBES.

Further action we be initiated to also allow our ABSP or Channel Partners to install ISEE/EVE as part of the Installation & Startup service that they may deliver for EVA's.
Popy
Regular Advisor

Dear Frank,
I too confused now.Do I install WEBES Windows version or OSEM or Both ?
Anyway in my initial scenario none of these two components were present.I am going to install these components once you confirm.
Can you tell me the URL where I can find ISEE-EVA installation documents.

With Thanks
Raneesh Vijayan
raneesh.vijayan@hp.com
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Raneesh,

Yes, you do need to install both components, WEBES and OSEM on the SMA. WEBES detects hardware events posted to the log files. The event handler OSEM receives these events from WEBES and passes actionable events to the ISEE client running on the SMA.

Here are the URL you need:

o See Appendix J of the "HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition Installation and Upgrade Guide" for instructions to install the ISEE client to support an EVA. It is available at:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/services/hardware/info/isee_client.pdf

Please note the instructions in Appendix J tell you to install WEBES version 4.3.1, you actually need WEBES version 4.3.2.

I hope the instructions in Appendix J help.

Take care,
frank
All knowing is doing.
Popy
Regular Advisor

Dear Frank,
The information you have given is really helpful.
I appreciate you.

Raneesh Vijayan
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

Raneesh,

I am pleased to help. Perhaps you can help other readers of this forum by assigning points on a scale from 1 to 10 (where 10 is the most helpful) to the answer(s) that helped you solve your problem. That way future readers can quickly see what worked and ... what did not!

Take care,
Frank
All knowing is doing.