5883 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ISEE Test

Jeff Souter
Frequent Advisor

ISEE Test

Hi
I have just installed ISEE onto our test K400 server without problem, my question is - is there a way of testing ISEE with a EMS CRITICAL event? This is of course without doing any real harm.
I want to be sure ISEE is working correctly before rolling it out.
Many thanks
Jeff
7 REPLIES 7
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Testing is built-in to ISEE.

Slide 13 & 14 of the document at the following link, explains how to verify the installation.
http://h61001.www6.hp.com/isee_training/installation/secMSinstall/secMSinstalltext.html

Slide 13
Verifying HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition (ISEE) Installation, Configuration
Verify whether the installation and configuration of HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition (ISEE) was successful:
A successful HP ISEE installation creates a new incident in the HP ISEE application called 'New Installation.'
- A 'No' under the Attention column means that no action is required.
- The HP ISEE installation failed if you do not see the 'New Installation' incident, you must contact HP Support.

Slide 14
New Installation Incident
New installation link incident image is displayed.
The New Installation incident informs the HP Support Center that your HP Instant Support Enterprise Edition (ISEE) installation is correct.

Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."
Jeff Souter
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply.
What you say is correct the new installation message was sent to HP without problem.

Where i was coming from is how can i see it working as in a real situation with a critical EMS message being generated and sent using ISEE.

Is this Possible?
Thanks
Jeff
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

There's no easy way to cause a EMS Critical event without potentially causing further issues. You could pull a cable loose, or cut the power to cause an event. As far as I know, there is no way to mark the test event as a test either.

Maybe you could call HW Support and talk about other options you might have.

Cheryl
"Downtime is a Crime."
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

I'd take Cheryl's advice. However, I have installed and discontinued predictive support for our entire DC for 11.0 systems. I too had that question. I installed ISEE on a test K box and pulled a SCSI cable off and it forced a lbolt bus reset if I can remember correctly. And yes, ISEE picked up the incident. However I believe you should take cheryls advice. If a new incident has been established, then you can be pretty sure ISEE is working OK.
UNIX IS GOOD
Nobody's Hero
Valued Contributor

Also, be sure to change the default ISEE admin password and load the latest ISEE security patch. PHSS_27411 I think is the correct patch number, but you better verify that.

Good luck.
UNIX IS GOOD
Jeff Souter
Frequent Advisor

Ok some food for though.
Thanks for the replies.

Jeff
LisaW
Valued Contributor

Jeff,

Yes, there is a true EMS ISEE test that tests the process all the way from an EMS event to ISEE and finaly to HP.
At the system prompt type:

ps -ef|grep stm

This verifies EMS is running and gives you a view of the active EMS monitors.

Then to generate a EMS test event using one of the active monitors(example uses sysstat_em):

send_test_event -a sysstat_em

To verify the event executed properly, view the mad.log or Chorus web page:
tail /var/opt/hpservices/log/mad.log
or
http://hostnameorIPaddress:5060/start.html

The EMS test events are automatically closed by HP so you should not expect a call from the HP Response Center.

Hope this helps,
Lisa Williams, RST