cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISEE monitoring HSG80 storage?

David Beary
Occasional Advisor

ISEE monitoring HSG80 storage?

Has anybody successfully setup ISEE and WEBES/SEA to monitor HSG80 based SAN storage on ProLiant/Windows2000/2003 servers?

What is the correct process for event handling? Should WEBES/SEA (System Event Analyzer) capture the HSG80 event and pass the event into the Windows "Application Event Log"? This is how it works on the EVA, but I can't seem to find how it is suppossed to work for the HSG80 storage arrays. It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

Cheers,

David Beary
4 REPLIES
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

Re: ISEE monitoring HSG80 storage?

David,

Let me make a start at answering your question.

First, WEBES does NOT "pass the event to the Windows Application log file" on the EVA. It is Command View - EVA that posts the hardware event to the log file and SEA (System Event Analyzer) scans the log file periodically to discover the event.

Therein, I think, is your problem. The health agent that reports events from the HSG80 may not be posting events to the log file for SEA to discover.

I am doing more research now to see if I can get more specific installation instructions.

Take care,
Frank

All knowing is doing.
LinuxNotMS
Advisor

One annoying thing to remember about HSG80's is that while securepath, if you are running it, or the OS may catch and pass on some errors to be processed, we have found that the most important messages get pumped to the HSG console port.

We have had instances of a disk on the HSG having problems, spitting out messages like crazy, and the OS never knowing anything about it. Only when we connected to the console port did we see them. (We've had cases where the firmware would not kick a drive out as bad, and the controller would become so saturated with these messages that it would crash.)

I realize that this doesn't really answer your questions. I don't know that HP has a supported solution for monitoring HSG's. We have been running HSG80's for years, and HP has never had a solution for us. Furthermore, HSG80's are near end-of-life -- I doubt that HP is going to do much more enhancing, especially since the inability to pass errors to an OS is a design issue.

One thing we've considered doing is hooking the console port to a mux board or some such thing for a system process to scrape the output and parse and flag messages that may be an issue. We have just never had time or resources to implement it. Obviously this could be a daunting task if you have a lot of HSG's, as in our case, because you would need a connection for each controller.

Scott
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

David,

I appears you need HP Storage Works HSG Element Manager installed on the Storage Management Appliance (SMA) before WEBES, specifically System Event Analyzer, can find the HSG events in the log file and report them to the ISEE Client.

I hope that helps.

Take care,
frank
All knowing is doing.
David Beary
Occasional Advisor

Scot / Frank,

Thank you for your replies but its not really what I'm looking for. I've checked the HSG Element Manager Release Notes & User Guide, but it has no mention of passing events into the Application Event Log so SEA can pick them up.

Also, I'm just looking for a solution for a SAN that consists of many ProLiants and a HSG80 array. No SMA exists on the SAN.

I shall iunvestigate within HP, and see what happens.

Cheers,

David