4012 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ISEE on Linux not working

ALe_3
Frequent Advisor

ISEE on Linux not working

Dear All,

HP has set up an ISEE environment (isee clients, isee hostpops) on our Linux servers (Red Hat ES/AS update3/4) but ISEE seems not working in fact we experienced a lot of hardware issues on the disks (they were broken) but ISEE didn't report anything.
We detected the HW issue just because we saw the red light on the disks.

Could you please suggest something? Because if ISEE doesn't work, we will ask HP to uninstall it.

Thanks very much
7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

Re: ISEE on Linux not working

Hi,
I'd suggest talking to the people who set ISEE up, which would be HP. They need to look at this, either because there is a problem with how it has been set up, or because there is something about your specific setup that means that ISEE failed to spot the failure. In the latter case, ISEE would need changes to spot this in the future; if HP don't get told about this, they can't fix it.

Andrew
ALe_3
Frequent Advisor

We already talked with HP guys but they told that this is very strange and don't understand why there isn't any HW failure detection.
The strange thing is that on our HPUX servers ISEE works fine.

At this stage my supervisor asked me to investigate to check if there were some tests/check to do on our Linux systems but I rally don't knwow how to proceed.

I was wondering if on the servers (where ISEE client is installed) there is a file that logs the HW failures. In this case I could check it and see whether the failures were logged and in this case it could be an issue of communication. On the contrary it could be an issue of insight manager that doesn't detects the HW failures.
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

It depends on what hardware you have, partly, where the data might be found. Are you running Itanium or Intel servers? Regardless, HP support ought to be checking the data files to see why ISEE didn't report the failure.

Andrew
ALe_3
Frequent Advisor

The servers are Proliant DL580 G3
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

Ok, thanks. Afraid I can't help further, as I only know about the diags on the Itanium boxes. However, I would still say HP should be pursuing this, if they are not currently.

Andrew
ALe_3
Frequent Advisor

Ok,
I will try again to involve HP guys.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
cybofax
Advisor

ALe -
There are a few ways to configure Proliants for 'phone home:

The ISEE client is the call logging software that will log a call if the prerequisite diagnostic monitor and filter decide it warrants a service callout. For your HPUX machines - the prerequisite is EMS.

For Proliants, you need effectively three bits of software for automatic call logging to work. Firstly - the Insight Manager Agents need to be installed and configured on each monitored machine. Secondly, - you need an instance of an snmp filtering tool (called OSEM - freely downloadable from HP) that is reachable by each monitored machine - lastly - the ISEE client (call logging software) is required - either on each monitored machine - or centrally if a Central Management Server set up is in use.

The snmp filtering softwware will only run on Windows - so you need to point your snmp trap destination and configure your snmp read community strings on each Linux box to point to the machine hosting OSEM, - there is a facility in the agents to send a test trap - alternatively there is a command line option.

If the ISEE client (call logging software) is supported on the Linux box - then you should be good to go - if it is not supported - as long as the traps and community strings are set correctly - then the machine with the OSEM software can also have the ISEE client installed and it will proxy the incident off to HP.

Hope this helps!

I am an HP employee