1751952 Members
5027 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Insight Remote Support Network - Wrong NIC Assigned

Barkers
Occasional Visitor

Insight Remote Support Network - Wrong NIC Assigned

I recently added 2 new hyperconverged HC380 nodes to our infrastructure, and after they were discovered in Insight Remote Support they would register for warranty and eligibility, but are unable to run collections.

After looking closer I realized that Insight is assigning the Management network to the 4-port 1GB NIC, which has nothing assigned to it, or anything plugged into it, or even an IP.  It shows the IP as 0.0.0.0.

Is there a way to manually set the NIC that it looks at?  Our management for esxi is on the 10GB ports, which are teamed in vcenter.  This is a completely different NIC which insight is ignoring.

Just to clarify, the iLO has been succesfully registered and those IP's show up correctly.  This is only the esxi MGMT connection that I am seeing this behavior with.  Our other servers are still collecting and checking in correctly.  This is only occuring with the 2 new units.

6 REPLIES 6
toddg1
HPE Pro

Re: Insight Remote Support Network - Wrong NIC Assigned

There is a way to influence which NIC is used -- I am researching the info and will get back to you

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
toddg1
HPE Pro

Here's how to find the information that is available.   Access your online help - by selecting the "orange" "Help" at the top of the Insight RS user interface.

When that page pops up, in the search box at the top right, put this in and press enter:  siteipv4subnet

You will get a few results - select the Gen8/Gen9 link and read the details about how to configure Insight RS to select or prefer the subnet that is used for discovery.

I do not know whether you can just press the "discover device" again (or run via the discovery panel) or if you actually have to delete the device and totally re-discover it.  I would try to do it without deleting first.   I have asked the team about this - but haven't heard back.  If I get an update I will respond here.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
toddg1
HPE Pro

Just in case your browser doesn't open the proper "subsection" - on that page look for the expandable link called:

Define discovery subnets if desired

(The engineer just told me he doesn't think you should have to delete first)

rsadmin is run from a command window on the Insight RS hosting device.

From the help:

When discovering an iLO 4 that presents multiple server IP addresses, the default behavior of
Insight RS is to select one of the available IP addresses based on the following
preferences: "10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16,169.254.0.0/16,0.0.0.0/0"
where 0.0.0.0/0 represents a non-private IP range and the 10. network has the highest
preference. If multiple IP addresses exist within any of the subnets the selection
behavior within that subnet is random.

A configuration command has been added to allow you to redefine this preference order
and to define it more discreetly. The command takes the following form:

rsadmin config тАУset siteipv4subnet.preference=<ipv4>/<prefix>[,<ipv4>/<prefix>тАж]

where a multiple subnet preference can be defined.

You can use the command to define a more discreet preferred IPv4 subnet, for example: 10.2.x.x over 10.1.x.x.

Example:

rsadmin config тАУset siteipv4subnet.preference=10.2.0.0/16

You can choose to prefer 192.168.x.x subnet over all others.

Example:

rsadmin config тАУset siteipv4subnet.preference=192.168.0.0/16

You can also define two or more preferences.

Example:

rsadmin config тАУset siteipv4subnet.preference=10.2.0.0/16,10.1.0.0/16

If the device is not reachable on the preferred subnet, Insight RS will continue to search the
preference list. For example, if the iLO shows us a 10. network and Insight RS does not
have a 10. connection, Insight RS continues searching.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Barkers
Occasional Visitor

I've previously done the targeted discovery, that's how I got the device in there to begin with (I actually tried subnet and direct IP with the same results).  The problem is after it discovers it and registers it, it changes the network IP to 0.0.0.0 and the MAC address to the 1gb card (as opposed to the connected 10gb card).  I'm guessing it is being autoconfigured by the iLO after it is registered.

Also, the iLO lists NO IPv4 address on the 10gb card.  I'm assuming that is because it is NIC teamed in vmware?  I'm guessing that's why it isn't able to obtain a correct IP?

I've attached a screenshot of the iLO network tab.

toddg1
HPE Pro

Ah - then a call to support is in order, sorry

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Barkers
Occasional Visitor

No appology is needed.  Thank you for your support!