1752778 Members
5939 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Insight Remote Support on Windows 2003 "hangs" console login

Johnny Wishbone
Valued Contributor

Insight Remote Support on Windows 2003 "hangs" console login

I have a Windows 2003 (64-bit) server that I am trying to run IRS standard. The software installs correctly and all the services start and run correctly. However, when I try to login on the console, the session "hangs" or locks up and never gives me a desktop. It accepts my credentials and begins the process of bringing up the desktop, but all I ever get is the mouse pointer on a blank screen (no taskbar, no desktop icons, etc). I am able to move the mouse pointer around and I can bring up the task-manager, but I get nothing else. I have left it in this state for as long as 2 hours without getting a desktop before giving up.

Note that this doesn't happen when I remote desktop into the machine. That works fine. It only happens when I try logging in on the console and it happens for ALL user accounts (including the local administrator account).

It is definitely caused by something in the IRS package, as I can uninstall the software and my console login works fine. I have done this 3 times now, with 2 different versions of IRS standard (including the latest version), and have been able to replicate the issue every time. Whenever I install IRS, the console login "hangs" as described, and when I remove it from the server, the console login works again.

I've checked the system event logs and application event logs on the server and see nothing out of the ordinary happening when the login "hangs". I'm hoping someone else has run across this issue and can help shed some light on it.

Thanks
It ain't cool being no jive turkey so close to Thanksgivin'...
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Wyant
Trusted Contributor

Johnny,

Is it possible you dont have Java installed on the system itself?
Johnny Wishbone
Valued Contributor

Both Java and the .Net Framework are on the system. I am running Java 1.6.0_20 (version 6 update 20) and .Net framework 2.0 with SP1. That version of the framework is what is specified in the IRS release notes.

I've tried this with only the 32-bit versions of Java and .Net, with only the 64-bit versions of both, and with the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of both on the system and none of those options make a difference.
Johnny Wishbone
Valued Contributor

Closing this thread since there are no other suggestions. Issue continues.