1748289 Members
3316 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Issues installing Remote Support Software Manager

Douglas P Jones
Occasional Contributor

Issues installing Remote Support Software Manager

I am currently having an issue installing the Remote Support Software Manager vA.05.20. When I go to Start -> Programs -> Hewlett-Packard -> Remote Support Software Manager I see two choices: one two initialize and the other to uninstall. If I choose Initialize and enter in all of the necessary information then the тАШCM StatusтАЩ window opens it goes gets through steps 1~8, starts on step 9 then fails a few seconds later with a new window that says (among other things) тАЬFailure тАУ Problem installing Remote Support Components, etc, etcтАЭ with a Finish button at the bottom. I click on Finish and the Remote Support Software Manger application opens and displays a list of packages. All packages that are supposed to be installed show as Installed except for WEBES v5.4 which shows as Failed / Timed Out. At the same time a SEA test is automatically generated. If I open SEA it appears to be installed and operating normally.
If I look at the log file in C:\Documents and Settings\jonesd2adm\Application Data\hp\rsp\1.0.3272.22300 it shows
3/12/2009 5:54:09 PM [DEBUG] UpdateAllForm: Package Installations are complete.
3/12/2009 5:56:06 PM [DEBUG] Interactive install returned a status message of:
3/12/2009 5:56:06 PM [DEBUG] Interactive install returned a return code of: 0
3/12/2009 5:56:06 PM [DEBUG] Interactive install returned the a Cancelled status of: False
3/12/2009 5:56:06 PM [DEBUG] Interactive install returned an UpdateAllSucceded status of: False
3/12/2009 5:56:06 PM [DEBUG] Update All did not succeed. Therefore setting return code to -1.

I have run through this initialization several times now with the same result.

Any suggestions on what to do next would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
oskar01
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem and have logged a support case.

Did you install the SIM/RSP on C: or other drive ? I installed it on another disk and HP support suspect that mite be the problem,
but it is still under investigation
Ingenium res adversae nudare solent, Celare secundae
Douglas P Jones
Occasional Contributor

No in my case it was the C drive (actually the only logical drive on the machine).
Michael Wyant
Trusted Contributor

Is it a virtual machine? I was having an issue with one of my customers and then found out he was trying to install on a VM. This will NOT work, it must be physical.
Andrew Claiborne
Valued Contributor

Hi There,

It sounds like the issue is that WEBES failed to install. RSSWM does not consider itself configured until all mandatory components (including WEBES) are successfully installed.

The WEBES install log files are under _INSTALLDIR_\CM\RSSWM_Pkg_Logs\CM_GL_WEBES_WIN (where _INSTALLDIR_="C:\Program Files\HP" by default). These files will hopefully explain the problem with the WEBES install.

Once WEBES can be installed, if you re-run the RSSWM initialization, it should complete successfully.

Best Regards,
-Andy Claiborne
Douglas P Jones
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies. It's running on a physical box so that's not the issue.

I found and looked at the WEBES install log file and the only obvious error I could find was a failed attempt to install SQL Server 2005 express. The server already has full-blown SQL installed so it's odd that it was even trying.

".Net Framework 2.0 is INSTALLED On this Server. Proceeding with SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation..."
"SQL Server Installation is in progress. This will take a few minutes. Please wait..."
SQLEXPR.EXE /qn /settings "C:\Program Files\HP\Installers\WEBES\SqlServerInstall.ini"
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation Error Code: 28086"
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation was NOT Successful. Please refer to C:\Program Files\HP\Installers\WEBES\WebesSQLServer.htm File for Installation of SQL Server."
WEBESDB Instance Already Found on this Server. Deleting SQLServerInstall.Log File
Deletion of SQLServerInstall.Log File DONE
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installed Successfully"
"SQLCMD PATH VALUE =c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\sqlcmd"
WEBES.exe "/v ANSWERFILE="C:\Program Files\HP\Installers\WEBES\answerfile.txt" SILENTINSTALL="TRUE" REBOOT=\"REALLYSUPPRESS\" /lvx WEBES54.i.log /qr"
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Douglas,
Check the WEBES logs. If you see and "Error Code:1706" message anywhere, then your issue is with the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client. Use the Add/Remove Programs, reboot, then attempt installation again.
I have seen this type of error in the previous release of RSP

Good luck
Anthony
Douglas P Jones
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't see that particular error but did see errors
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation Error Code: 1618"
and
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation Error Code: 28086"
I went ahead and tried the uninstall you suggested, reboot the box then tried re-initializing RSSM but the install failed again.
Adila Botonjic
Advisor

Hi Antony Martin

I have 3 customers with the WEBES problem, where the log file contains the message
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation Error Code: 1706"
"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation was NOT Successful. Please refer to C:\Program Files\HP\Installers\WEBES\WebesSQLServer.htm File for Installation of SQL Server."
"SQLCMD PATH VALUE =C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\sqlcmd" "

Since I'm not the SQL expert I really don't know how to solve this issue. Can you please provide some more information on Microsoft SQL Server Native Client, what exactly needs to be done to solve this problem, or at least what exactly did you do to solve this issue?
Thank you
Anthony Martin_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Adila,
This should go into a seperate thread, but the answer to the your question

If you check the WEBES logs, you may find #"SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 Installation Error Code: 1706".
To Fix :-
1. Uninstall the "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client" via Add/RemovePrograms
2. Reboot
3. Attempt re-installation

Anthony