5656 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Migration of IRS 7.7

okanek1
Frequent Visitor

Migration of IRS 7.7

Hi,

Can anybody advise on the process for migration of IRS from a Windows 2008 server to a 2012 server (if one exists)?

Can the inbuilt backup be used for migrating device and customer information or is it only useful for restoring onto the existing installation?

Maybe the export/import using a csv file is an appropriate way of doing it?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi - want to make sure I understand your question, so I can make sure to ask the team the correct questions.

Are you:

* creating a new server (with Windows 12) and then wanting to move the I-RS install to that box?

* Upgrading the version of Windows from 2008 to Windows 2012, but on the same hardware?

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
toddg1
HPE Pro

While I await your answers, a few thoughts:

If you're upgrading your Operating System Version "in place" - this SHOULD work, but I would for certain do a backup and then copy it someplace safe.

If you're moving to new hardware, it gets a little more interesting.  In this case, the I-RS will always appear as a NEW I-RS device, as they are made unique by the serial number and product number (amonth other things) that are extracted from the hardware.  So - if you use the HPE Insight Online Portal - this would show as a NEW I-RS host in your supported devices.

If you're moving to new hardware, be aware of a few things.

Backup/Restore as a method will bring all the data (including credentials) into the backup so they are present when you restore.    It's not REALLY intended for this purpose, so your mileage may vary.

* If doing this, please make CERTAIN that the version of Insight-RS is the exact same on the new box as it was on the box from which the backup was taken.

* CSV files will export almost everything you need, but without credentials - no way do we put passwords into CSV files.

So - you will need to decide which approacth to take for your own needs - there are pro's and cons to each.

If you need more assistance, please open an HPE support case where a support person can help further.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Uglybob
Occasional Visitor

I tried to do the same process.

Old Server 2008R2 <old server name> 192.168.0.10

New Server 2012 R2 <new server name> 192.168.0.10

I did a backup now in the console... copied it to a network location.

Shutdown <old server name> and started <new server name>. Installed IRS, same version as old server.. ran the rsadmin restore process.

HPRSMAIN service starts but then shuts down with the following error...

Problem found while checking process--POSTGRESQL:
com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStartProcessException: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStartProcessException: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStopProcessException: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStopProcessException: postmaster.pid file not present or could not be deleted.
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.launchPostgresql(HPRSMain.java:859)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.startProcess(HPRSMain.java:567)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.restartProcess(HPRSMain.java:1619)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.restartProcess(HPRSMain.java:1641)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.startProcesses(HPRSMain.java:492)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.windowsRun(HPRSMain.java:370)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.startWindowsService(HPRSMain.java:336)
Caused by: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStartProcessException: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStopProcessException: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStopProcessException: postmaster.pid file not present or could not be deleted.
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.launcher.PostgreSQLLauncher.restoreAllDB(PostgreSQLLauncher.java:1281)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.launcher.PostgreSQLLauncher.initdb(PostgreSQLLauncher.java:1824)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.HPRSMain.launchPostgresql(HPRSMain.java:806)
	... 8 more
Caused by: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStopProcessException: com.hp.uca.hprsmain.exceptions.CanNotStopProcessException: postmaster.pid file not present or could not be deleted.
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.launcher.PostgreSQLLauncher.stopServer(PostgreSQLLauncher.java:689)
	at com.hp.uca.hprsmain.launcher.PostgreSQLLauncher.restoreAllDB(PostgreSQLLauncher.java:1277)
	... 10 more
shatra
Advisor

Hi

Did you managed in the end to get the migration done? Any tips/hints?  I will have to do something simillar in the near future and I am little scared...

Thank you!

Uglybob
Occasional Visitor

No I havent, havent had time to try again or to harrass support about it.

sorry