1752570 Members
5130 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: New install of HP Insight Remote Support

dirkdevos
Frequent Advisor

New install of HP Insight Remote Support

We just installed the new version of "HP Insight Remote Support", version 7.1.0.0046. The software does a great job on the initial discovery of devices but after that I am having some issues.

1) We have servers that have iLO 2, 3 and 4 installed and I was told by one of the support folks that the software only reconizes iLO 4. If this is correct, is it possible to upgrade the servers to the new version.

2) Is the software able to discover a 3PAR storage system and if possible, how does a person do that.

3) The software discovers enclosures but not the blades inside. Is this possible or do I need to add the ip addresses to the discovery ip range.

4) I was told that prior versions of the software (at least 4 years ago) included images for the devices similar to what we currently have with the OA interface.

5) What other software needs to be installed. Keep on reading about "HP Insight Control".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dirk

P.S. This thread has been moved from  ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum to  Insight Remote Support > General. -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: New install of HP Insight Remote Support

1) We have servers that have iLO 2, 3 and 4 installed and I was told by one of the support folks that the software only reconizes iLO 4. If this is correct, is it possible to upgrade the servers to the new version.

No - the iLO is am embedded chip on the system board.  It's tightly integrated with the generation/model they are installed in.   You can only update the firmware, not the iLO version.

2) Is the software able to discover a 3PAR storage system and if possible, how does a person do that.

IRS won't work, but SIM will monitor 3PARs.  You'd need to do some reading and load the CIM providers for 3PARs to work with SIM if they are not by default.  HP's new management tool, OneView, now manages 3PAR I believe (not compatible with IRS).

3) The software discovers enclosures but not the blades inside. Is this possible or do I need to add the ip addresses to the discovery ip range.

You'll want to discover the blades separately.  IRS/SIM will build the relationships.

4) I was told that prior versions of the software (at least 4 years ago) included images for the devices similar to what we currently have with the OA interface.

Not sure what you mean - do you mean a graphical respresentation of enclosures like the OAs show?  SIM does this, not IRS.  See my information below on SIM (Systems Insight Manager/Systems Insight Control).

5) What other software needs to be installed. Keep on reading about "HP Insight Control".

So, I think part of your confusion is that IRS and SIM are two, different products.  I can briefly explain.

In the past, SIM (Systems Insight Manager) used the Remote Support feature as a plug-in, so you installed it to work with SIM.  Now, IRS is a separate product, that compliments SIM but doesn't require it.  Basically, if you want to simply send events to HP automatically and don't need to manage events or your environment internally, IRS is likely all you need (for the devices it supports). 

Now, SIM is the base product (free) that manages hardware, software deployments, firmware, inventory, etc.. lots of things, for your HP hardware (any many types of hardware, from tape systems to servers to storage).  It's best used for environments where you need to get internal events or simply perform the functions I mentioned.  If you upgrade SIM to the next level, Insight Control (paid) you gain a lot of power management functions.  There are other products above IC but I am not familiar with those.  Basically, they are upgrades that bolt onto SIM/IC and add features.

SIM and IRS can work together as well, but they don't have to.  Personally I am not sure what is gained by configuring the integration adapter (you'll see the configuration in IRS), maybe just to synch devices both directions.  I don't really do this.

I'd say, download SIM and check it out.  It doesn't take long to set up.  You'll have to do a little reading on the requirements of systems you want to monitor with it (protocols, agents, etc) but if you use HP's installation media to set up your servers, the proper components are probably already on them.

I hope this helps you out..  good luck!