New Discussion

Re: No "Failing Component Location" details in Service Event

SOLVED
Go to solution
WisdomSeeker
Occasional Contributor

No "Failing Component Location" details in Service Event

Hello. 

This is my first post on this forum so first of all - I'd like to say "hello".  

Now back to the problem. I have generated test event on HPE DL380 Gen9 server. Server is connected to IRS with valid RIBCL credentials. The email and service request were generated, but there are almost no information in "Failing Component Details" section (no Component Location, Manufacturer, FIrmware).

Is this a normal symptom for test event ?

If not - could someone please explain how to configure server iLO or in other words - where this information come from ?

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
HanCas
Valued Contributor

I have seen this too. For instance when SSD fail, the partnumber is not known by the system.

Also it can occur when the failure is 'outside' the server, such as in a storage cabinet, or when you have the newest interface cards for which the data is not yet provided. I have no idea how to update the parts database

toddg1
HPE Pro

With respect to the original question:

This is normal behavior for a test event as there is really no failing part.

As far as missing part  numbers for genuine HPE parts, the inclusion of new part number data is carried in the Analysis Rule except in the cases where the events provide it directly.

To maximize the part prediction rate a customer should keep their client and CLU levels up to date.

As Rules are updated the newer parts would be added. This is the general answer. Do things get overlooked? Yes. Is there some lag to adding newer parts? Yes. Are there instances where the part number cannot be determined with the data provided? Yes

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
WisdomSeeker
Occasional Contributor

Hello.

Thank you for quick response. This partially answers my question.

But what with the "Location" ? 

I thought that it would be mutually beneficial if I the hardware physical location would be included in the mail and visible for HPE dispatcher who would be able to redirect service request to team in proper conutry / town.
So maybe my question should be "how and where put the information related to physical hardware location to let them to be used by IRS" ?

And another question - does any information related to "Site" address (are / can be) included in email sent from IRS ?

Regards

WisdomSeeker

toddg1
HPE Pro
Solution

Are you still asking about the test event?  Those are primarily used to validate connectivity between the device, the Insight Remote Support tool, and HPE.

Extracted from an ACTUAL email that I was sent for a product in my own data center that has a failed part:

Server Name: xxx.hpe.com
Server Model: ProLiant BL465c Gen8
Server Product ID: 634975-B21
Server Serial Number: USE33XXXXX
Server FW Rev: A26 03/07/2016

Rack Name: BTI
Enclosure Name: CSI5
Enclosure Bay Number: 3

Failed Component Type:
Primary Storage Device

Recommended Action:
The accelerator board on the Smart Array P220i has experienced a backup power source failure. The FW revision of your array controller is 8.00. Replace the backup power source on the Smart Array P220i Controller the accelerator backup power device is spared separately;.

FRU Location:
Slot 0

You can see that the location is specified when it can be determined, in this case, the rack name, the bay number and the slot for the failed part.

The email itself does NOT contain any information about the contact or site.  That data is sent to Hewlett Packard Enterprise so we know where and to whom to send the part.

The email destinations are configured by the user - and that is where the email is sent, to the primary and backup contacts that you specify.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
WisdomSeeker
Occasional Contributor

Hello

Thank you. Basically that was what I wanted to hear and to know :-)

If all the site details are transferred to HPE when support request is created by IRS - I thing it was worth the effort to created the sites with so many details :-)

Regards

WisdomSeeker