6094 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OSEM Remote Support Pack cannot change SNMP get community name

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lee Kern

OSEM Remote Support Pack cannot change SNMP get community name

In OSEM viewer the Default SNMP GET Community name under internal advanced setting cannot be updated. Restarting OSEM keeps defaulting back to previous community name. Where can this be found in the registry? Is this a lack of permission issue? Uninstalling and reinstalling OSEM still keeps the same community name even when not installing from backup.
4 REPLIES 4
Liem Nguyen
Honored Contributor

Re: OSEM Remote Support Pack cannot change SNMP get community name

Hi Lee,

If a host is configured with different Community name, then you should add this host's info into OSEM Communities.

This will tell OSEM to get back to the host using different Community Name.

The default Get Community name is set to Public and cannot be changed, this can be explained as:

Default community used when OSEM requests additional details from the client if OSEM CANNOT determine what SNMP community to use.

If a SNMP trap is received for a system where an SNMP community is NOT defined in the OSEM ├в Communities├в page, OSEM will use this default community first. If that fails, OSEM tries again with the community defined in the trap.

Hope this helps and btw: I have your subcase.

Lee Kern

Thanks for the reply. To elaborate a little more we changed the get community to something other than public at the time of the initial install (ex. Comm1). Now when I try to change it back to the default setting of public as soon as I restart CRSM it goes back to "Comm1". In our development environment we can update this field fine. Only difference is OSEM and SIM are on the same server. Reinstalling OSEM still comes up with the Comm1 community instead of public. Is it possible this field is being pulled from SIM?
Liem Nguyen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Lee,

I just spoke with Maggie, since this is OSEM with HPSIM, if you want to change the Get Community name, you have to do this from HPSIM:

Options -> Protocol setting -> Global Protocol Settings
Default SNMP settings -> Read community string:
Stop/start OSEM

Lee Kern

Updating the read community strings under

OPTIONS тАУ Protocol settings тАУ Global Protocol Settings

in SIM resolved the issue of not being able to update OSEM's default get community field.