1753377 Members
5050 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS and Webes / ISEE

rman
Advisor

OpenVMS and Webes / ISEE

Got a CS customer running VMS 8.2-1 on Itanium and they are clustered. First the Webes installation kind of works but it looks like the product is not cluster aware so we have problems. Second I believe without Webes we can not have ISEE, is that true.
If anyone out there have a VMS cluster on Itanium running ISEE please let me know.
5 REPLIES 5
Sam Cofield
Advisor

Re: OpenVMS and Webes / ISEE

Ramon,

What version of WEBES are you using?
Is this a mixed cluster of both Alpha and Integrity systems?

I do see in the ISEE Install Guide that "The OpenVMS ISEE client software is not supported in a heterogenous cluster environment. If both Alpha and Integrity systems are present in a cluster environment, only one of these systems can be monitored at a time."

You can have ISEE installed by itself, but it will not get you anything. ISEE is only the electronic transport that passes calls from the customer to HP.

WEBES is the analysis piece that analyzes the hardware events and if ISEE is installed and enabled, it will pass to HP.

So YES you need WEBES if you want events passed via ISEE. But you can have WEBES without ISEE (local notification).

I don't have access to any Itanium VMS clusters, but the WEBES (VMS) kit is suppose to work the same as the Alpha kit.

WEBES is and should be cluster aware. If you are having issues, then you may need to log a service call and we may need to elevate to WEBES Engineering.

I assume all the WEBES and ISEE Patch Requirements are being met for the versions that you are using.

In the WEBES 5.0 Install Guide, there is a note in section 5.1.2 regarding Mixed Clusters.

So it looks like WEBES supports a Mixed Cluster, but not fully by ISEE.

Sam Cofield
(Remote Technology Support)
Americas WEBES Focal
rman
Advisor

Sam,
The problem is that the customer can not even get WEBES installed. The installation fails. I need to ask where during the install is failing. Also all the nodes are rx7620 Itanium running VMS8.2-1. I will let you know more in the near future.

Thanks,
rm
Sam Cofield
Advisor

You can have them try the install with debug set.

Do "@webes_install debug". It should show more information on the screen.

My want to set default/log, so it is in a logfile.

There may be some indication there.

ISEE can exist without WEBES, but it is WEBES that does the analysis and notification via ISEE.

ISEE is just the electronic transport between the customer and HP.
rman
Advisor

Ok. We have finally installed WEBES v5.1 on an Itanium system running VMS v8.2-1, it installed but it did not install in the Common directory instead it install in the specific area. This customer swings the disk between production and test, so WEBES stops working due to the different root. Any thoughts on how to get WEBES to install in the common area?
Sam Cofield
Advisor

That is not an option.

The logicals are setup automatically and puts some things in specific, and some in a common area (for cluster).

It cannot be all put in one area.

You can check things by doing a "dir svctools_home:[000000]". There will be truly a specific and truly a common.

For example, the WEBES rules are located at svctools_home:[common.jars], but if you do a directory of svctools_home:[specific.jars], there is nothing found.

So all the main common stuff used by WEBES for a cluster gets put under SVCTOOLS_HOME:[COMMON], and anything specific to a/the node are put under SVCTOOLS_HOME:[SPECIFIC].