Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the Insight RS Experts... Hyper-V Support

mc1903-1
Advisor

Question for the Insight RS Experts... Hyper-V Support

Hello Insight RS Experts,

Please can you explain why IRS does not work with Hyper-V 'guest' virtual machines..?

Thanks,

Martin

5 REPLIES
EricL
HPE Pro

Re: Question for the Insight RS Experts... Hyper-V Support

Hi Martin,

Insight-RS collects several system attributes during installation to help uniquely identify the hosting device instance.  With 'guest' OSes, the attributes we use for this logic may differ based on the vendor and the type of capabilities we want to support (failover, guest migration, etc.).  Since support for Hyper-V was not targeted for 7.0.5, the logic is not in place to correctly handle that instance.

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.
twgage
Occasional Visitor

Does this mean that I cannot use a HyperV guest for a central monitoring system?

Or only that I can't monitor a HyperV guest using Insight Remote Support?

EricL
HPE Pro

You can't use it as a central monitoring system (in Insight-RS, we call this the Hosting Device).

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.
mc1903-1
Advisor

Thank you Eric...

It would be helpful if the installation/setup program fully checked the environment before it installed and flagged up unsupported 'hardware' configurations...

I appreciate that Hyper-V is not supported in IRS 7.0.5 and I accept it is not mentioned in the 'Virtualisation' section of the release notes, but It would be really helpful to clearly state that it is NOT supported within the release notes...

Cheers,

Martin

NasaDave
Advisor

So if we are running a Hyper-V Environment, the only way to running this software is to dedicate a server to the task?

Does that mean that I have to purchase another $10,000 server just to run this monitoring tool?