1752786 Members
5860 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RSCC component installation fails repeatedly

Simon Ho (UK)
Advisor

RSCC component installation fails repeatedly

I recently successfully installed SIM 5.3 with RSSWM 5.20 on one of our Proliant servers, and have been trying to repeat this on another identical server. However, on the second server the installation of the RSCC component always fails with this error appearing each time in RSCCinstall.log:

"This version of HP Remote Support Configuration Collector cannot upgrade release A.05.16. The next applicable release will be A.05.30."

This is despite there having been no previous installations of SIM nor RSSWM on this server.

I found this recent thread in the forums, where others have evidently hit the same problem:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1308370

If anyone can advise me how to resolve this issue it'd be greatly appreciated. (I've had a support case open for a week already, but so far HP haven't been able to solve it.)

Thanks,
Si
6 REPLIES 6
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I was stuck in version A05.16 after 5.2sp2-->5.3 upgrade and got same errors.

ended up removing the RSCC and RSCCE components (unified collector etc.) AND did a registry clean for RSCC and RSCCE components.

After that it installed the new version from RSSMW
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Simon Ho (UK)
Advisor

Jarkko, by "registry clean" I assume you mean that via regedit you searched the registry for all occurrences of "RSCC", "RSCCE", etc. and manually deleted them? Or did you use a more sophisticated means of cleaning the registry?

Thanks in advance,
Si
Simon Ho (UK)
Advisor

Ok, I finally got the installation to succeed. I'd previously tried cleaning out registry entries but the installation still failed, so perhaps I wasn't thorough enough in cleaning the registry on my previous attempt.

These are the steps I carried out (IIRC):

- From the RSSWM GUI, click the Remove link for each component, such that each is removed one by one. (Ignore any failures.)

- Close the RSSWM GUI and run the RSSWM uninstaller from the Start menu.

- Under Services, check that any services relating to Remote Support or Unified Collector are stopped.

- From Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, remove any remaining components relating to RSSWM. (Ignore any failures.)

- From regedit, find and delete complete keys/classes relating to RSCC, RSCCE, Remote Support and Unified Collector.

- From Windows Explorer, under C:\Program Files\HP, rename the 5 directories CM, Installers, RemoteSupport, RemoteSupportEligible and UnifiedCollector, appending 'xx' to each directory name to ensure that the next attempt at installation will be forced to download everything afresh.

- Reboot the server.

- Start the SIM setup.exe located in directory SIM53-win\hpsim\win_ia32\hpsim (wherever the SIM package was extracted).

- Choose a Custom Installation and select only the RSSWM.

Disclaimer: I have not discussed this process with HP Support nor gained their approval, and there may be actions I've carried out which were unnecessary. However, my subsequent RSSWM installation was successful. Having solved this problem without any useful assistance from HP, I gladly share this info with the forum community, but will not accept any responsibility for the results on others' servers.

Thanks again to Jarkko for encouraging me to revisit the registry-cleaning approach.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Yep ...good to hear it helped. Some programs are so "wise" that they check registry for uninstall entries. I think the A05.16 version uninstaller left something behind that the new version checks.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Simon Ho (UK)
Advisor

What I still don't understand though is that this server, like the first one I set up without any problems, had no SIM/Remote Support components installed on it previously. I followed the exact same process on both machines, so why did the installer keep arguing that RSCC A.05.16 was there already on the second server?

I guess I'll never find out, but at least now I can finish off my SIM configuration and get event notification working.
Simon Ho (UK)
Advisor

Solution as described in previous comment.