Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RSP][HP-UX] Testing issues

Mouad IDELHADJ
Occasional Visitor

[RSP][HP-UX] Testing issues

Hello,

I facing an issue with an hpux 11.23 server (ia64 hp server rx8620). Everything has been configured fine (depots installed, entitelement, WBEM subscription....). When I send test events (sfmconfig -t -a) I get them on the HPSIM, SEA and HP backend too. But when I remove a power cable from that server I get the notification on the HPSIM (Power has been removed from AC input A0) but nothing on the SEA and HP backend and service incident has not been created. What do you think about this issue?

more info:
SFM version: 7.01.01
WEBES: 6.1
SIM: 5.3 sp1

Thanks
3 REPLIES
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Re: [RSP][HP-UX] Testing issues

Don't worry be happy. Your HP-UX Server has a little bit more logic to check if a part is broken. If you unplug power your power supply is not broken. This is not a issue for HP HW Support.
I known Proliant will alert HP because the HW monitoring can not detect the loss of AC power. Only the DC part is covered. This is the reason that HP needs to call you to ask if you had a power outage or the powersupply is broken.

You will see it is harder to check the functionality with integrity as with a proliant. The best solution is you have a broken part eg. Disk you can insert in such a server.
Mouad IDELHADJ
Occasional Visitor

Thanks a lot for your answer. But however the Customer has to receive at least an email informing him that a cable has been removed. Don't you think that should happen?
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Yes you can inform the customer by using the SIM event automation.

I think the current implementation fits for most customers very well. Think about the following scenario. Your are running a data center and you want to replace or upgrade your UPS. Asume a simple configuration only one power supply per server is connected to the UPS. e.g. You have 20 diffrent customer and each customer has 5-20 server in your data center. Do you realy want WEBES/ IRSA to send 100-400 emails or 5-20 per customer for the same reason. If you allow the power has been removed messsage, you will be forces to use a correlation tool this is something which is hard to be done with emails but much easier by forwarding the SIM events to event correlation engine/tool before you send an email to the customer.