1752505 Members
5500 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Support Adv 05.40 - SIM6 - Hyper-V

Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

Remote Support Adv 05.40 - SIM6 - Hyper-V

Since it's now possible to run the remote support pack on vmware esx(i) I was wondering if anyone had any success in running it on a Hyper-V VM.

I've managed to install it, and everything seems to be working - EXCEPT the registration for Remote Support Configuration and Services fails with the following message:

Remote Support registration failed. There may be connectivity issues, or the datacenter may be offline right now. Please refer to the log file and the documentation for more information.

I'm having a hard time understanding, what the difference is between an ESX VM and a Hyper-V VM, in terms of having insight remote support running?

Can the remote support pack somehow be "fooled" to believe it's running on an ESX VM, instead of a Hyper-V VM?

Any HP supporters out there who knows if/when support for Hyper-V VM's will be available?

13 REPLIES 13
Micke_Ch_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi!

You can in HP SIM under System Properties manually assign what OS and hardware you have on your server.
Just specify:
subtype 1: Change to HP Proliant
Product Model: Change to Proliant
Operating System Description: Select a valid Microsoft Windows operation system. If the value is not already a valid Microsoft Windows operating system, change the entry to Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition Service Pack 2
Click OK to save the changes to the CMS System configuration.

This should fix it..

Best regards
/Micke Ch
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the advice. I've done as you instructed for the server running the CMS. - However, it still wont register with HP :(

Anything else I need to do for the support pack to "notice" that it's running on an HP Proliant Server?
Michael Wyant
Trusted Contributor

At this time IRSA running on Hyper-V is NOT supported. It may be under the version due out in Dec 2010.
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

I'm aware of the fact that it is not officially supported. Thank you.
I've however managed to run plenty of HP software on non-supported platforms before, and I'm pretty sure that there's no significant difference between an ESX VM and a Hyper-V VM.

Since the installation was successful, and reports are generated successfully, the only thing not working at this time is the actual registration with HP. The SSL connection with isee.hp.com gets dropped by the remote side, and I'm pretty sure it's because the data from the CMS contains information about the Hyper-V VM. I'm fairly sure that Micke is on to something, and I feel I'm just missing the last piece of the puzzle.
Wolfgang Bach

Still not supported on Hyper-V? i had moved our SIM from an old physical server to a hyper-v VM. took me one day and now its not registering :(
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

Still not supported.
I got a call from HP the other day, because they were getting "tired" of all the manual hardware support cases that we kept giving them. They wanted me to know that there was this fabulous plugin to HPSIM called HP Insight Remote Support.

I told them that was great, but that it was not supported on Hyper-V, and asked them when they expected that this would be supported. Here's the reply I got from the Engagement Desk:

Unfortunately at this time we have no plans to integrate Insight Remote Support with Hyper ├в V virtual machine although we have not got the release notes for A.05.60 yet, but I still would advise you to check periodically for new release notes of Insight Remote Support.

NASA ASUS
Occasional Advisor

I submitted a request for this feature to be supported by HP.

Was told that because this is a "new" request, they don't know that other's want it as well.

Hoping to get some sort of request idea so that we can show this is highly desired.

Has anyone recently gotten this to work?

ThoMas_32
Advisor

Just tried it today with HP SIM 7 and the latest Remote Support Pack - still not working.

Its really shame, its not working on Hyper-v VMs now for at least 2 years and HP does not move ...

ThoMas_32
Advisor

Sadly, found a doucment from HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3927992&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c03452362

Hyper-V is not a supported virtual host operating system. The CMS fails to get registered because this is not a supported configuration.