Insight Remote Support
1752421 Members
5867 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Support Pack on a virtual HP SIM server not supported?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ehuang
Super Advisor

Remote Support Pack on a virtual HP SIM server not supported?

Dilemma: ISEE will be discontinued officially on June 1, 2009. HP SIM takes over. However, RSP, the most important feature that ISEE has, is not supported on a HP SIM if it is a virtual machine itself. How come? I didn't see some detail explanation about this. I do see some HP SIM notes saying it has to be installed on a physical server. Just want to know why? Any documents addressing this why?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

The resources required by a management application (ANY management application, not just HP SIM) is inconsistent with the overhead imposed by virtualization. A more complete discussion can be found at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01328849/c01328849.pdf
ehuang
Super Advisor

David. Thanks for your reply. To clairfy, does that mean the RSP is not supported for the SIM server (vm) itself or ALL servers it manages?
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

ehuang,

In answer to your follow on question, the A.05.20 RSP release notes say:

NOTE: The HP Remote Support Pack requires a single physical system allocated for HP SIM. If you run HP SIM 5.2 or higher on a Windows Virtual Machine (VM), you will not be able to use the HP Remote Support Pack.

This option is not currently supported or recommended, because I/O intensive applications such as HP Systems Insight Manager and the HP Remote Support Pack consume 30% more resources from the CMS when run in VM environment compared to running natively on the operating system. However, support for monitored end-point servers running as Virtual Machines is provided.

The last sentence clearly states that VM end-points can be monitored!

Take care,
frank
All knowing is doing.
ehuang
Super Advisor

question answered.
GeraldR
Advisor

we are in the same dilemma too...
...because we run our datacenter in a fully virtualized environment...

hpsim does run, - why should rsp not???

this exasperating ever hearing argument with i/o is a weak one, - coz it's only a question of correct sizing the system. we do run large oracle and ms-sql databases on virtualized esx!!

so please hp, - don├В┬┤t let us fall back to yesterday's it, where we'd need a little physical box - only therefor it's p h y s i c a l - for running a simple monitoring/reporting software as hpsim/rsp??!!

we'd really appreciate to decide ourself, if we'd take the "risk" to run a system virtual or not, - in this case we can't because when registering rsp brings the message:
"Remote Support registration failed. There may be connectivity issues, or the datacenter may be offline right now. Please refer to the log file and the documentation for more information."

"connectivity issues"?! uuuuh?

tnx! gerald
SmooshedFace76
Advisor