New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Support Software Manager Install Fails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Clayton Walter
Advisor

Remote Support Software Manager Install Fails

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded from SIM 5.2 to 5.3 and am having trouble getting the latest RSSWM agent installed.

I had the old client installed and working correctly but when I try to install the new version I get the following error:

"setup.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x12e4 (4386), Thread id=0x1b7c (7036)

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application."

I can't find any logs detailing the cause of the failure. I have already uninstalled the previous version and it still fails. I am attempting to do this while logged in on the console using a local administrator account.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this while installing RSSWM? Any suggestions?

I am running SIM 5.3 on a DL360 G4

Regards,

Clayton
13 REPLIES 13
Andrew Claiborne
Valued Contributor

Hi Clayton,

I haven't seen this problem before.

Did the install create a log file under:
%appdata%\hp\rsp\VERSION?

(e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ApplicationData\hp\rsp\1.0.3272.22300)

If you have a logfile there, it might give us some clues about what is happening when the exception is thrown.

Best Regards,
-Andy
Clayton Walter
Advisor

That was one of the first places I looked as well...but that directory did not exist. I even tried to manually create that directory and run the install but it fails almost immediately and the log is never created.
Ian Kirvell
Frequent Advisor

Hi there,

I've experienced exactly the same problem installing SIM 5.3 SP1 over the top of an existing 5.3 install. I did not have the old client working properly and was hoping the new version included with SP1 would fix my issues.
Andrew Claiborne
Valued Contributor
Solution

As of HP SIM 5.3 SP1, RSSWM is supposed to check for .NET 2.0 and return an informative message and exit gracefully if it is not installed.

I *suspect* that this may be a problem with the .NET 2.0 check.

Do you have .NET 2.0 installed? If you install .NET 2.0 and re-run the upgrade, does this problem go away? If not, can you tell me if you're running Windows 2003 or 2008, x86 or x64?

If you are sure you have .NET 2.0 installed, you can bypass the check by:
1. Copying the HP SIM install media to a writable location.
2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to \rsswm, and rename:
2a. setup.exe -> orig_setup.exe
2b. rsswm_setup.exe -> setup.exe
3. Then run the SIM upgrade from .
The installation will be exactly the same as a normal upgrade, except the .NET 2.0 check will be skipped.

Please do respond back with your results or your specific configuration so we can try to duplicate the problem. If this issue is anything other than a one-off problem, we'll need to communicate an advisory and send out a fix ASAP.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Best Regards,
-Andy
Clayton Walter
Advisor

Thank you, Andrew! It seems that you were correct in your assessment about the .NET check.

I did have .NET 2.0 installed on the server so I tried your method of renaming the setup.exe file to bypass the check and it worked. The installation is running now and everything looks good so far.

Note that I did not have a rsswm_setup.exe file to rename as you noted in 2b of your solution. I only had to rename setup.exe.

For the record, this server is running Windows Server 2003 Standard
with SP2 and .NET 2.0 SP1.
Andrew Claiborne
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info, Clayton.

I'll try to reproduce this problem and see if we can roll out an official fix/communication.

Best Regards,
-Andy
Clayton Walter
Advisor

Well, I'm back to my original issue which is I can't update to Remote Support 5.20. I'm installing it from SIM 5.3 SP1 but I'm stuck at 5.16 and can't communicate with HP's servers for CW status. RSSWM doesn't show any updates available in the management console.

Any suggestions?
Andrew Claiborne
Valued Contributor

Hey Clayton,

Remote Support Pack A.05.20 is actually a collection of a bunch of different products with different individual versions.

The RSSWM UI (from the desktop shortcut) shows all the available RSP products and their versions.

Which product is not showing the expected version, and what is it displaying?

Thanks,
-Andy
Clayton Walter
Advisor

Andrew,

I attached a screen cap of the RSSWM packages screen with all of the installed components and their versions.

Also, I no longer have the collect contract and warranty data option under tools in SIM.

Regards,

Clayton