4842 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM Server V5.3 (Win) + RSP + VMware?

Ulf Ohlsson Lidholm
Occasional Advisor

SIM Server V5.3 (Win) + RSP + VMware?

Hi all!

I saw that SIM Server V5.3 running on Windows where supported on VMware.

My question is:

Is Remote Support Pack (RSP) supported on SIM V5.3 running on VMware?

RSP are crucial for us. If this doesn't work we must skip VMware ...

Rgds.

>>> Ulf
4 REPLIES 4
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM Server V5.3 (Win) + RSP + VMware?

I couldn't locate the 5.20 release notes (there are release notes only available for IRS 5.20 only and not RSP) but under RSP 5.10, it was not supported, and IRS 5.20 doesn't support it either.

That being said, there's no logical reason why it would not work. The only thing I can think of as to why exactly it's not supported, is that under a VM the entitlement for the CMS is ambiguous. But that shouldn't stop RSP from working for your other devices. You can try it out but don't expect any support from HP if you do so.

Good luck
Frank Alden Smith
Trusted Contributor

According to the following note from the A.05.20 Release Notes (p 15) Insight Remote Support Advanced (formerly known as RSP) is NOT supported on a Windows Virtual Machine:

NOTE: The HP Remote Support Pack requires a single physical system allocated for HP SIM. If you run HP SIM 5.2 or higher on a Windows Virtual Machine (VM), you will not be able to use the HP Remote Support Pack.

This option is not currently supported or recommended, because I/O intensive applications such as HP Systems Insight Manager and the HP Remote Support Pack consume 30% more resources from the CMS when run in VM environment compared to running natively on the operating system. However, support for monitored end-point servers running as Virtual Machines is provided.

Hope that helps.

Take care,
frank
All knowing is doing.
Ulf Ohlsson Lidholm
Occasional Advisor

HI Frank!

Thanks for your reply.
It looks like we'll have to run on an physical server as it seems.

Cheers ...

Rgds.

>>> Ulf
Ulf Ohlsson Lidholm
Occasional Advisor

Solution explained.