1753428 Members
4949 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Servers not being monitored

Don_Greman
Occasional Advisor

Servers not being monitored

I amtrying to resolve some issues with a site I have.  I have 2 servers that are set up identical yet when I go to the Service health of Remote Support Configuration and Services it shows them not being monitored.  Both say agent software not installed for SNMP but if I run a SNMP test I get info back.  How do I get the systems monitored?

16 REPLIES 16
LisaW
Valued Contributor

If you run an SNMP test from each of these devices and the tests are delivered, this is the true test to know if it is being monitored. The Services Health screen can take time to update and the Red X is reflecting the state of all protocols, but it doesn't sound like it's reflecting the true state from what I gather from your post.
Don_Greman
Occasional Advisor

Do I have to have the management agents installed on the server I want to monitor?  Shouldn't I be able to enable SNMP on the server I want to monitor without the management agents?  The test I am running is from the CMS where a SNMP test queries the server I want to monitor.  The servers in question have been like this for 2 weeks or more so it's not time related..

RichardR
Occasional Advisor

You can check to see if SNMP Credentials were assigned to the servers when you discovered them.

Open the Devices page, then select one of the servers you have concerns about. Lastly click on the Credentials Tab.

Do you see any SNMP credentials assigned?

I am an HP employee
Don_Greman
Occasional Advisor

yes SNMP is set to ohrread which I have to specify when I run my SNMP test from the CMS.  It also brings up another question.  How do I delee the credentials I no longer want?

I am an HP employee

RichardR
Occasional Advisor

To me the best place to manage credentials is in the Administrator Settings page. Click on the Discovery tab followed by the Credentials tab.

Look for the "Manage Credentials for Protocol" pull down menu. Select the protocol you want to delete credentials from. Then delete the credential.

You can add credentials for a specific device in the Devices page, but then you must manage that credential there.

I am an HP employee
Don_Greman
Occasional Advisor

OK I'll deal with that later.  I have SNMP protocol set and I know it works because I can run a SNMP query from the CMS.  Why does RS say the agent is not installed and how do I clear it?

RichardR
Occasional Advisor

If you see the SNMP Credentials assigned to your end point then IRS is reporting it can communicate via SNMP to that end point.

The next step in discovery is to determine the device type based on the data IRS can obtain via SNMP and any other protocol that was detected.

If you look at the device and pull up the Hardware details you should see information about in Category, Product and Vendor as well as the Serial Number and Product Number.

If the information is not available or correct this could prevent the device from being monitored.

I am an HP employee
Don_Greman
Occasional Advisor

The information is there and is correct yet RS still says it is not being monitored.

Don_Greman
Occasional Advisor

In the installation advisor readme it says to run LAUNCHWHC and when I run that one of the systems comes back with a failed on defaultSNMP and the other says success.