1745924 Members
4240 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Troubleshooting a Lost Connectivity Alert - Insight RS Server

Matthew P Simms
Advisor

Troubleshooting a Lost Connectivity Alert - Insight RS Server

We're running HP Insight RS on 2 servers (our Primary Site and our DR site) and occasionally we recieve emails from both IRS servers simultaneously about a lost connectivity alert. Both servers appear to be fine and nothing appears wrong with their internet connections.

We're do we begin troubleshooting this?

Below is an email recieved from one of our IRS servers notifying us of such connectivity problems:

The Software Management Agent on the HP Remote Support system(s) listed below have not connected to the HP Data Center for at least 3 days.
This is the only notification you will receive for this outage.
Please investigate the problem and take appropriate action.

Note: this alert ONLY pertains to the Software Management Agent.
Other software components such as incident processing, data collections, remote connectivity, etc. may not be affected.

Affected CMS(s):

Company: MIG Region: AM
Hostname: MIGDRSMA01
Last Connection Time: 6/7/2009 8:01:02 AM

Please do not reply to this message, as it was created by an automated process. Subscription
preferences such as e-mail address and unsubscribing
can be modified by accessing the Contacts screen of
the Software Manager interface. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Frauke Denker_2
Esteemed Contributor

A good point ot start is to check wether you really have a problem with the Software Managers connection to the HP backend. Therefor open the Software Manager and click "Actions" => Test Connectivity. If this works fine there should not be an issue at this time. Else check the logfile at C:\Program Files\HP\CM\Log
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I have them too from time to time. I'm not sure but the problem might be that the HP backend is down at the moment the mail is generated. If you don't get another one a few days later telling that is has reconnected, you can launch RSSWM manually and run a check for updates. If that doesn't work, try rebooting your CMS.
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

hello

have the same problem from time to time. test connectivity failed and have to restart the RSSWM agent.
maybe anyone have an idea what the problem is.

thank you
roland
SANJAY MUNDHRA
HPE Pro

See if they have the SWM Audit scheduled task on their system and that is running properly.

The SWM Audit task is a scheduled task that is setup automatically via the installer after the connectivity check.

If for some reason this is not set up properly during the installation, then we do not get a daily audit to let us know that the SWM agent has connectivity.

There may be a scenario where the agent gets installed but does not get the scheduled task set up properly resulting in a down notification.

If the customer sees the down notification and performs a connectivity check manually then the datacenter would get a connection and an audit. This would temporarily satisfy the conditions for an up notification sent to the customer. However, since the scheduled task is not setup, 3 days later the customer will receive another down notice. The down notice in this case is indicative of a failed scheduled task setup not a firewall or connectivity issue.

If they do not have the task, then that may explain how the issue can be manifesting itself.

Cheers,
Sanjay Mundhra
I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Mauricio Velasco_1

Hi,
I've received the same e-mail. How can I check if the SWM Audit scheduled task is configured and running properly?

Thanks for any help.

Mauricio.
H-P Gubler

Hello

Has anybody found the solution to verify and maybe how to set the SWM Audit scheduled task new.

I would be happy not needing to reinstall the whole software.

Thanks.

Andre Froebel

Hello All,

I too have an IRSS installation, where this Audit task is missing and wondered, what it is used for and how to create it manually. Reading this thread at least told me the purpose of this task. Furtunately I've got another system, where everything is setup correctly. So as there doesn't seem to be a tool to create this task, I tried it manually via "Control Pannel -> Scheduled Tasks -> Add Scheduled Task". Here the task properties, which I entered into the "Schedule Task Wizard":

Program To Run: "D:\Program Files\HP\CM\RSSWM\CLI\iswmadmin.cmd" runInventory

TaskName: SWMAuditTask

Scheduled Type: Daily

Schedule: At 01:01 every day, starting 02.10.2009

Run As User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Notes:

The path for the program to run might be slightly different on other installations.

I wasn't able to specifiy the command line argument "runInventory" during task creation, but had to add it later on via the task properties. Be careful to put the command line argument outside the double quotes, otherwise the task wont start.

I didn't specify a username/password for the "Run As User".

Hope this helps and kind regards,

Andre!
just a curious sys admin
Andre Stewart
Frequent Advisor

I have about 12 "At" jobs scheduled to run this command most of them at the same time. Can one delete all but one of them? Or does one need some multiple of them configured.

Any idea how some many got configured on my system? All but 2 seem to have the same creation date. The other 2 were created 4 and 5 months prior.