New Discussion юеВ

Re: Use of Sites in IRS and display of it in Insight Remote

SOLVED
Go to solution
HanCas
Valued Contributor

Use of Sites in IRS and display of it in Insight Remote

Hi,

I have customer, using IRS on a lot of ProLiants, Blades etc. Since it is strecthing several locations in IRS multiple sites are created, Each site had some devices allocated to it, as should be the case.

The devices in IRS are configured such that we a service provider do see them in Insight Remote on the HPE Support Portal. We would expect to see one entry for each site and in each entry the devices assoxiated to it.

However we see about 30 entries, some with just one device, others with 2 or more devices and one with 128 devices. But the names of these 'sites' as visible in Insight Remote portal all show the same name, the assigned default site name.

How ot fix this, so we see the required entries, with the correct number of devices in them?

9 REPLIES 9
toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi HanCas,

Can you clarify for me are you saying that in the Insight RS tool, you are seeing the correct partner/device relationship but not in the Insight Online Portal?

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
HanCas
Valued Contributor

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on a short break last week

Yes, your assumption is correct. Sites created in IRS and devices assigned to sites. Everything looks oke in IRS, but in Insight Online it is a mess. I see a number of entries all with dame name, but containing a different numer of devices. It seems all devices from customer are shown.

We have contacted HPE support in the mean time ( a collegue of my did this during my absence) and they hav checked an confirmed everything looks oke on the IRS side of thins, but in InsoghtOnline it is a mess. They are looking. A support call is opened

HanCas
Valued Contributor

This is the result of the HPE support actions.

- Checked Customer site. Everything is set-up and implemented oke
- Checked the Insight Remote view and saw the issue
- Solution, which is not a solutions at all, is to have the customer create a VM for every site.
This is not acceptable for the customer, since it was first mentioned everything at customer site is oke. There is no reason why it all should be in separate VMs, since the issue is at the Insight Remote portal site, not the customer.

We now are looking to change the names of the sites in the Insight Remote Portal.
This is a lot of work for 23 sites, but apparantly HPE cannot fix it.

HanCas
Valued Contributor

No solution provided by HPE.

There is a propsed work around by creating a VM for every site, this is unacceptable for the customer.. Too much hassle and management impact.

Another workaround is to manually change the names of the Sites in Insight Online. This is also not sufficient since some sites show the wrong devices in Insight Online but the correct in devices in iRS per siite. Alo we see more entries in Insight Online then there are sites

Apparantly it is too difficult to troubleshoot and the fix the issue. Could be a reason to ommit the use of IRS and Insight Online.

HPE did close the call without our consent, so I guess this is something we have to live with and accept HPE is not going to fix this

toddg1
HPE Pro

Hi HanCas,

Sorry this has languished with no response.  I disagree that the way to manage different Sites is to create a unique VM for each one - that is "a way" - but a single Insight Remote Support instance can and does support multiple sites, and to the best of my knowledge, that information does transfer from your I-RS installs to the HPE Insight Online Portal - but as I don't work on that part of the tool, I will have to try to find someone that does who might be able to help.

A few critical things we need to know:

• How many sites are in your I-RS instance(s)
  • How many I-RS instances do you have in your company 
    •            If more than one, are they all setup using the same HPE Passport account?
    • Can you possibly obtain a screen shot of what your screen looks like and what you feel is wrong with it?
    • Are you a customer, a partner, internal HPE employee?

People I can find will need the information above, so if you can possibly find it now, we can save some time having it ready for them.

If you're not comfortable putting this information into a public forum, I understand - tell me and we will find a way to have you send it directly to me.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
HanCas
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the help.

I work for a Service Partner of HPE, and as such use Insight Remote to monitor some of our customer installations.

This customer used IRS to have the devices monitired by HPE, but sonce then we have  a service contract with this customer, so instead of the events being dealt with by HPE, we should solve the HW issues (all devices have a valid warranty with HPE). So the customer used our partner location ID to assure th devices are visisble in our Insight Remote portal.

However in fist instance they were all shown as being part of the same site. We have first contacted the customer, but he indicated he had created multiple sites and linked the proper devices to the correct site. We then got in touch with HPE Support in Sofia (?) . They connected with the customer and found everything was set-up at customer site, and gave the indtructions to create multiple VMs which, like you, the customer and I think is bull. Then we got the advice to manually edit the site names, so we did. The customer gave us a list of site names with their respective serialnumvers and systems. However we still device in one site, which are supposed to be in several sites (129 devices in one site) Custome ris using two instances, all with same credentials as far as I know.

In the picture below you can see all sites. Originally they all had the same name (ending in AM2). The support team in Sofia does not know, support team India has been involved and they too decided they have no clue, or don't think it is worth while fixing

Current Sites shows the current situation in the portal, after changing some of the names
RWS Insight Remote show what we first saw
The las t picture show part of the customer set-up

HanCas
Valued Contributor

What I forgot to mention: We were able to change the site name to what it according to customer should be, but we are not able to change the devices. So it is not only the name of the site that is incorrect, but also the content of the site

Checking the site info at customer IRS servers, showeverything is correct as also seen by HPE Support. So it looks to me a problem at HPE

toddg1
HPE Pro

Here is my understanding on this based on my limited knowledge in the area.

Client based model:  (Insight Remote Support and OneView Remote Support)

Customer (via.  client) registers one (or more devices) where information about the device is stored in the HPE Backend.

Customer (via. client) provides a HPE Passport account (HPPID) to make the devices visible in the HPESC Insight Online (IOL) Portal and when the HPE Backend gets that device visibility message it iterates thruтАЩ each of the devices associated with the client and makes this device visible to this specific HPP ID (user) and to assign it to the users default group.

Customer/User, when they log into the HPESC IOL portal via. the HPPID, now see all of the devices for that client in the default group (i.e. a generic group).  The user then has the ability to create (via. the portal) new groups of their choosing (could be site based, purpose based, device based, etc.) and move the devices to these new groups and out of the default group.

If the customer (via. the client) registers more devices, they will be made visible in the default group and the user can move them around as they see fit.

Via. the HPESC IOL Portal, the Customer/User can also тАЬshareтАЭ a group (or I believe a set of devices) with other users and they in turn (given appropriate permissions) can create their own groups and тАЬlinkтАЭ (or in some cases move) the devices into their own groups as well, change existing groups and so on.  So, I believe a device could be in 1 or more groups associated with 1 or more users in the HPESC IOL Portal.

Direct-Connect model:

Customer (via. ILO I believe) registers the device with HPE which results in the device sending back a registration message to the HPE Backend.  That device is тАЬseenтАЭ to be in a partially registered state in the HPE Backend тАУ and it is not visible to anyone in the HPESC IOL Portal.

Customer/User then logs in to the HPESC IOL Portal and then тАЬclaimsтАЭ that device by entering contract information and/or device PN/SN etc.  Once successfully тАЬclaimedтАЭ, the HPE Backend makes this device visible to this user and it gets assigned to the users default group.

After that, what was said for moving/sharing etc. above for the Client based model above applies here.

I-RS and OVRS View:

We do not create sites based on the address information coming in with the telemetry data from the customer devices тАУ rather that is left up to the HPESC IOL User to do in the portal.

In looking at the question on the forum, I think there is a believe that how the devices are тАЬarranged/groupedтАЭ in I-RS maps into how they are arranged/grouped in the HPESC IOL Portal.  There is nothing in our solution that I am aware of that uses the grouping of devices in I-RS back to HPE Backend such that they can be arranged in the HPESC IOL Portal in a similar manner. 

You will see references to тАЬтАжthe assigned default site nameтАЭ тАУ I believe this might be referring to the name of the default group to which all devices are associated with when registered and initially made visible in the portal.  The registration and visibility process has no way of putting devices against a specific group тАУ it is always the default group тАУ whatever it may be called.

I suspect, in reading the thread, that someone has been manipulating the data in HPESC IOL Portal and it just looks a total mess.  Also, I get the impression that the same device might be in multiple groups тАУ again someone manipulating the data or worse тАУ someone re-registering the same physical device but from a different I-RS (or possibly a new instance of an I-RS on the same host).

I donтАЩt have any information on the devices/clients in question and so cannot proceed any further on the investigation.

Fundamentally, I believe this comes down to lack of clarity in the information which led the customer to think that the grouping of devices in I-RS is replicated in the HPESC IOL Portal тАУ it isnтАЩt.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
HanCas
Valued Contributor
Solution

If what you state is correct, then why do I see so many sites with dame name instead of just one (default)

If a customer creates sites, and places devices in thse sites, and we check the portal, then why do we see these devices all mixed up. I still think it is a HPE Software issue. The support team for IRS and Insight Remote are  not capable to fix this apparantly. One of the reasons I think is the total lack of proper documentation on this

Closed