Insight Remote Support
1752525 Members
4812 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Where is a very good, basic, walk-through, of how to get up and running with a few systems?

SOLVED
Go to solution
twgage

Where is a very good, basic, walk-through, of how to get up and running with a few systems?

We only have seven physical servers (all ProLiant DL3xx, all running Windows), but would like to have this set up in order to get an immediate alert when there is a hardware problem and have a case started automatically if that is appropriate (like hard drive replacement when one fails.)

We have had it set up in the past, but are now on a new set of machines.

I would like to use a HyperV guest to run the "central" monitoring software, so that I can later move it when needed.

I've installed it successfully, but can't figure out how to add the physical systems to start monitoring them.

The instructions I've been reading are so generalized I'm not sure where to start.

Is there some documentation or basic walk-through so we can get this done, with only a couple of hours of work?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
EricL
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Where is a very good, basic, walk-through, of how to get up and running with a few systems?

Hi,

I would recommend using the 'HP Insight Remote Support 7.0.5 Quick Installation Guide' found on the 7.0.5 documentation site (http://www.hp.com/go/insightremotesupport/docs)

At a high level, the steps you want to perform are:

•  Install and configure the Insight-RS software - please note that the HyperV guest OS is not supported by Insight RS 7.0.5.
  • Navigate to the Administrator Settings->Discovery tab
  • Select the 'Credentials' tab and enter the needed protocol credentials - the case of ProLiant running Windows, this would be SNMP or WMI based on how you set your environment up.
  • Select the 'Sources' tab and enter the IP addresses for your seven servers. 
  • Select the 'Start Discovery' button

At this point, Insight-RS will go out and classify the IP addresses that you entered.  It will use the credentials to collect system attributes and setup WMI subscriptions (if applicable).  If you are using SNMP, you will need to manually set the trap destination from the SMH software running on the endpoint servers (Insight-RS does not automatically set up SNMP trap destinations).

Once the discovery/classification are complete, Insight-RS will check entitlement as well.

The results of these actions will be available to you from the 'Devices' view.  If any issues are encountered, you will see a red x with some information on the problem that was encountered.

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.
twgage

Great, thank you!

Do you know when (or in what version) running the central monitoring software on a HyperV guest OS will be supported?

I think it would help by not having to completely re-install and re-configure this when hardware is replaced.

Thanks again!
EricL
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I certainly agree with your position, but I don't know when/if HyperV will be supported for the Hosting Device.

Note that Insight-RS does support VMWare guest OSes if that is an option for you.

Thanks,

Eric

I am an HP Employee.