108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

what is cm application self service manager

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

what is cm application self service manager

OK - Installed HP SIM 6.0, RSSWM 5.45 WEBES 6.0 etc. and again have found the program CM Application Self Service Manager installed. Which if you fire it up fails looking for an address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Any idea what this is actually meant to do?
I've looked around and I've not found much that indicates what this actually does or how you would configure it.
5 REPLIES 5
BPE
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: what is cm application self service manager

CM Configuration Manager is the User Interface of the sw distribution product which is used inside Remote Support Software Manager to download and update the Remote support components.

RSSWM is using the CLI interface of the CM agent.

The selfservie functionalitay is not configured. That is the reason that you get the error message if run CM from th program menu.

ehuang
Super Advisor

bpe, How do I remove it if I want to? I just virtulized (P2Ved precisely) a HP box which had it installed. I don't see it on the "add/remove" list. I guess it is somehow orphaned. Thanks.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Removing CM is not a good idea because your RSSWM will no longer work.

If you do not like RSSWM (automatic or manual update of your remote support sw components ) you better try the new offline installation method by using Insight Remote Support Advanced IRSA.
In this case you still have the WEBES, Remote Support Client and the full service incident forwarding to HP. If you want to update you need to download a new version of IRSA.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I thought I'd installed the Advanced version. Not quite sure what Self Service functionality there is to install. RSSWM itself has been configured to update itself and associated components as required.
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Rob

Here some background on the underlaying product of RSSWM. It was build to offer a windows update like functionality for all the remote support related components. HP used a SW distribution client from Marimba in the beginning and replaced it by Radia SW agent later on. I think HP wanted the user expirience shpould be the same. If you open the RSSWM over the program menu it realy looks the same.

I am not the radia expert but the self service function is concept with also some history. In the beginning of automatic sw distribution the vendors planned the nice feature that end user should be able to select optional software from a company sw repository. In this case the CM agent is configured this sw repository server and you will see all the optional products and what is already install.

Nice feature but as you see above HP is using the interface they already had.
The CM Agent is called by CLI inside this interface.

Why you can see the HP CM should be your own speculation.
And thanks again, I learned also a lot about the working concept of this forum.

BPE